What's new

My Coke habit that leads to a cache hunt

QuarterMaster

Full Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2012
Messages
173
Reaction score
44
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Pioneer Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every morning on my way to work I have to stop by and see my Coke dealer (McDonalds). I live in a smaller town of about 25,000 and I know most of the employees there. I happen to have the Successful Coin Hunting Book sitting in the passenger seat of my car. The lady at the drive thru notices it and asks, "What do you do with that?" and me being me says "I read it" and we both laugh. She asks if I have a metal detector and I of course say yes. To which she responds. I have a place you can hunt, it's my grandmothers farm. She passed away many years ago and we still own the land. She used to bury money in coffee cans but she forgot where she buried them. If you would like you can go hunt the farm place and I will split what ever you find 50/50.

I got a bit more info from her and she is serious so I say sure Ill go take a look see. Since I haven't cache hunted before, what do I need to know aside from dig everything?
 
Awesome opportunity! Be sure to post your finds!
 
Usually people will bury money in a place that will be easily found again so it may have some sort of marker. I would hunt around all the buildings: House, Barn, Outhouse, Chicken Coup, wells, sheds, etc, Around all the trees by the house. Under any old clothes lines (not for cache just a good place to hunt). By all fence posts or other posts (i.e. clothes lines, bird houses, flag poles) All main pathways between all of the above. Under porches. In any buildings with dirt floors. If none of this works then check all the other place in the front and back yards that you have not already hunted...lol.

Good luck

NJ
 
The target will be larger and probably deeper than your typical coin size object. I'd use the relic mode, if you have one on your detector, and a 12" or bigger coil.
 
Every morning on my way to work I have to stop by and see my Coke dealer (McDonalds). I live in a smaller town of about 25,000 and I know most of the employees there. I happen to have the Successful Coin Hunting Book sitting in the passenger seat of my car. The lady at the drive thru notices it and asks, "What do you do with that?" and me being me says "I read it" and we both laugh. She asks if I have a metal detector and I of course say yes. To which she responds. I have a place you can hunt, it's my grandmothers farm. She passed away many years ago and we still own the land. She used to bury money in coffee cans but she forgot where she buried them. If you would like you can go hunt the farm place and I will split what ever you find 50/50.

I got a bit more info from her and she is serious so I say sure Ill go take a look see. Since I haven't cache hunted before, what do I need to know aside from dig everything?

That's the way good treasure leads usually come. Sometimes it seems as though the leads are looking for you, and not the other way around. You've been given good advice. The only things I could say is, ask everything you can think of about the old lady, her house, and anything else you can think of. Big coil is probably the best advice you have so far. Other than that, hunt thoroughly.

You might want to check out the cache hunting forum here. There's lots of good reading on how and where to look.
 
And one other thing. If you think that coke habit is addicting, just wait until you've done your first cache hunt. You've been warned.:laughing7:
 
Last edited:
Hey thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it! And KK I'm pretty certain that you are correct about cache hunting being addicting :thumbsup:
As soon as I get all the info I may have more questions but once I do go, I will take pics and fill you all in. Thanks again.
 
Make sure you do a good grid layout, start checking off the boxes! Good Luck!
 
Good point! I'd get a roll of that cheap nylon rope to lay out the grid. You can detect right over it and you won't miss any spots that way.
 
Try under pathway slates if no one mentioned it, near trees and in hollow ones, even nearby{within view from home} landmarks. My Aunt{great} Nell always went to the chicken area to get me a SLQ for candy{no date} RIP
 
Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind is that the farmers wives liked to burry their money where the could keep an eye on it. That was generally from their kitchen window. I'd go to it, look out and see what you can see. Should give you some good ideas.
 
Try under pathway slates if no one mentioned it, near trees and in hollow ones, even nearby{within view from home} landmarks. My Aunt{great} Nell always went to the chicken area to get me a SLQ for candy{no date} RIP

Chicken coups were good hiding places since the chickens acted like watch dogs. If someone they did not know went into the coup they would squak up a storm.
 
Thanks for all the great input guys! As soon as I get to go, Ill make sure I take pics and post them
 
Nice lead the caches! No telling what you'll find, cant wait to see the photos!
 
Every morning on my way to work I have to stop by and see my Coke dealer (McDonalds). I live in a smaller town of about 25,000 and I know most of the employees there. I happen to have the Successful Coin Hunting Book sitting in the passenger seat of my car. The lady at the drive thru notices it and asks, "What do you do with that?" and me being me says "I read it" and we both laugh. She asks if I have a metal detector and I of course say yes. To which she responds. I have a place you can hunt, it's my grandmothers farm. She passed away many years ago and we still own the land. She used to bury money in coffee cans but she forgot where she buried them. If you would like you can go hunt the farm place and I will split what ever you find 50/50.

I got a bit more info from her and she is serious so I say sure Ill go take a look see. Since I haven't cache hunted before, what do I need to know aside from dig everything?


50/50 thats nuts. The first thing you have to do is get a partner and OFFER a 1/3 split. Track down the mineral rights, and buy a motorhome. Only after that you are good to go.
Anyway I do wish you luck.
 
50/50 thats nuts. The first thing you have to do is get a partner and OFFER a 1/3 split. Track down the mineral rights, and buy a motorhome. Only after that you are good to go.
Anyway I do wish you luck.

Sooo... I SHOULDN'T buy the gofast boat yet? :dontknow: :)
 
Ask the grand daughter if she rememebers where any old out houses may have been. People back then didn't trust bankers (something we should pick up on) and they would put there money in an old privy that they were filling in thinking the banker would never dig there.
 
Try and use the largest coil, if the house is still standing, see where the kitchen's outside view would be. (If in the back of the house).
Don't eat too much at McD's before the hunt.
Carl
 
I'm waiting impatiently to see how this pans out! Do inform us, even if you find rubbish and no cache's. It'd be informative either way and every story needs an ending of some sort!
 
I'm waiting impatiently to see how this pans out! Do inform us, even if you find rubbish and no cache's. It'd be informative either way and every story needs an ending of some sort!

No worries, still working out the details. As soon as I get started I will start posting about it. :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom