My father-in-law is a avid detector - hoping to take him detecting in New Jersey

Scottd13

Sep 14, 2006
Hello everyone. My father-in-law is a avid detector and I must say I'm beginning to find this interesting. I was hoping to take him detecting in New Jersey, as I live there with my wife and 8 week old daughter, to do some son-in-law father-in-law bonding. Nothing says bonding like walking in two entirely different directions with headphones one!

Anyway I was going to invite him down for a day of detecting in October down to Sandy Hook but then I read a post about almost getting arrested on Sandy Hook. So I'm wondering what beaches can one go detecting on? I'm sure people guard their hotspots well but any-old place will do fine.

BTW can one just go hunting around Treasure Lake in Cliffwood Beach? He'd be thrilled to go hunting at one of Kidd's possible burial places.....

Thanks,
Scott

OP
OP
S

Scottd13

Sep 14, 2006
Re: My father-in-law is a avid detector - hoping to take him detecting in New Je

Thanks!

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
One of the other problems with Sandy Hook beaches, is that at one time it was used as a cannon proving ground. There is a museum there that has some of the shells that have been found over the years, every few years they say another shell shows up, but now they just take them away and destroy them. That may have some thing to do with why dectecting is not allowed.

WolfmoonX

Dec 4, 2004
New Jersey
Re: My father-in-law is a avid detector - hoping to take him detecting in New Je

That and the fact that Sandy Hook has one of the only nude beaches in Jersey.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

WolfmoonX said:
That and the fact that Sandy Hook has one of the only nude beaches in Jersey.

Those nipple rings give a nice midrange tone on my detector!!

THEDUKE

Feb 20, 2007
Ocean County New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900/DI PRO SL
I went to sandy hook few years back, went all the way to the end just before the nude beach well few hundred feet away, I checked large area for two days all I found was a lot of tics.
had like five of them things on me.
never did go back, I did not know you can't detect there but I would not go back if I could.

Yes there are tons of beaches in NJ, I never really go by the ocean much I always go on the island goes from point pleasant to seaside, I used to hit all the old parks on the bayside had a lot of luck in them.
I know most guys hit the beaches in the summer on the ocean early in morning or later in the day after swimmers go home.

Since I started checking this site out found lot of good info on some real old sites

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions