My find of a Lifetime - Revolutionary War Cartridge Pouch Badge

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got back to a site where I found a couple of revolutionary war buttons a couple of weeks ago. Hit it hard again for 2 hours and turned up nothing...not one single find.

I was a little disappointed at first, but decided to explore the surrounding woods in hopes of turning up something else. About 200 metres away I got a hit. Turned out to be another button. Then another...and another. I was on cloud nine as I realized the area I hunted before was not the main camp obviously.

I will get some photos up of the buttons later...

My find of the day, and my lifetime was this Royal Highland Emigrants cartridge pouch badge!! Not only is it in beautiful clean condition, it has some sweet detail! One lug is missing from the rear, but had it been there I probably would not have made this find. The 71st regiment used this exact plate, only there was a number 71 engraved in the circle at the bottom. Note mine is blank. This is because the Royal Highland Emigrants had not officially received a regimental number yet.

I still can't get over this piece!! It gave a sweet signal in one direction, and a terrible signal the other way. I knew there was a good signal in there with iron. Sure enough, 6 inches down I pulled out a massive iron spike. When I put the probe back in the hole and heard it ring off, it crossed my mind it could be a belt plate as I knew it was large brass. It was smack in the middle of roots and large rocks so I dug it out by hand and I am grateful I did!!! When I pushed the dirt our from behind the roots, the dirt peeled off forward leaving the face of this bad boy sticking out of the dirt. I didn't touch it for 3 minutes!!! I just stared at it in shock and disbelief.

Attachments

• DSC06914.jpg
    DSC06914.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 5,165
  • DSC06915.jpg
    DSC06915.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 5,248
  • DSC06913.jpg
    DSC06913.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 6,513
Upvote 1
That looks in stunning condition for its age. A very nice piece of History :notworthy:
My vote's in.

Mike

Shock and disbelief are good things! Amazing find Wess!! Congrats!!! You have my first banner vote!

Ironman

That's just awesome........... :headbang:

Hope you make the banner..........(you should)........... :thumbsup:

This beautiful relic belongs on the banner for sure, an unbelievable find. I still can't get over the condition, not much else to say except banner all the way.

James.
HomesteadHunter.

Scots Wha' Ha'e!!!!!! BANNER!!!!!

The condition of that thing is outstanding! :hello2:

Banner!!! :icon_thumleft:

Great find! In many publications these devices are described as hat badges as well. Congrats! :thumbsup:

That is one great find!!! Like has been said above you deserve the banner...d2

Wow nice find beautiful i took the liberty of finding another badge very similar to the one you found :thumbsup:

Attachments

• snapshot.png.jpg
    snapshot.png.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 4,352
How did you sleep last night? :wink: ;D Incredible Wess. Congratulations! :notworthy: Thee Hogge

WOW :o :o :o Beautiful Piece Of History!!! WTG :o :o :o
Congratulations On The BANNER!!!!
HH!!
Swingit

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back