my finds.

OP
OP
B

bleep

follow the photo gallery link to see my finds.

C

Charles,Oak Island

index.php

index.php

beep, I got it to come up. You might find the bottle attached interesting. Back in the early 90's while I was with the Southport NC(USA) PD we had a visitor from Merseyside( England) PD which use to be Southport England PD.? David was a great guy and we enjoyed his visit. When he left I gave him an old wine bottle with the British Crown on it to take back to England that I had recoved from the Cape Fear River.
A month or so after he returned to Merseyside I got a package from him. Enclosed was the bottle pictured below which had been dug in a yard where he lived. It is a little hard to read in the pics but it is R.P.CULLEY & Co.LD.? ? ? ?Southport.

C

Charles,Oak Island

beep,
in your close up pic. could you post or email me a photo of the pottery jar on the right side top row?
How about posting some photos of the bottles looks like some nice finds.

OP
OP
B

bleep

right ill do that charles. Its a marmelade jar though.

C

Charles,Oak Island

index.php

beep, the jar I asked about in your photo looks a lot like this one I found in the Cape Fear River. I can't tell by the photo is it a Keiller & Sons DunDee Marmalade from London ? Mine has a date of 1862 on it. Do you have any history on this company.
thanks

OP
OP
B

bleep

Dundee's link with jam stems from Janet Keiller's 1797 recipe for marmalade made from Seville oranges. Her son, James Keiller, was responsible for industrialising the process.

Thats all i got charles. My pot is about 1920s. The one you have is very old/

C

Charles,Oak Island

thanks for the info. The area I recovered mine was a military fort since about 1760. Lots of Civil War activity at that location.

C

Charles,Oak Island

It's a special feeling to know you are the 1st person in 140+ years to touch something like that.

OP
OP
B

bleep

did you say you dive for these bottles> Thats cool. Something we dont get to do i n the UK due to lack of sites.

C

Charles,Oak Island

Yes all these are from a watery grave. found them near a military installation started in about 1749 and still in use today. All found in 5 to 35 ft of water (pitch black most of the time).

OP
OP
B

bleep

id love to dive in my river. Ohhhhhhh the finds.. both glass and metal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread