What's new

My first 50c box, cool find.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2008
Messages
7,452
Reaction score
93
Golden Thread
0
Location
Chicago IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No silvers but I did find a cool coin or medal, Im not sure what it is. Its the same size as a 50c piece, and the edge is clad so its not silver, just like a clad 50c piece. So I will keep it. Oh the 50c is just for size reference.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2796.webp
    100_2796.webp
    35.6 KB · Views: 489
  • 100_2799.webp
    100_2799.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 465
Upvote 0
Its a "Balboa"; a coin from Panama.

They are somewhat common from halves boxes because of the similar size, though I have yet to get one.

Cool find.

The old ones are silver I believe, but your is not old enough.

~Dave
 
That's so weird! I got one of those the other week, same date and everything! It's a pretty cool coin in my opinion.
 
BBcardsRI said:
Its a "Balboa"; a coin from Panama.

They are somewhat common from halves boxes because of the similar size, though I have yet to get one.

Cool find.

The old ones are silver I believe, but your is not old enough.

~Dave


Actually it's a "Medio Balboa" rather than a Balboa. Or 'Half Balboa' from Panama. I wouldn't say they are common either...at least around here. Over 400,000 halves searched and haven't found one yet. I think they used the same planchets that U.S. halves were minted from so the composition, weight, size is all the same so that is how they get mixed in with halves so easily.
 
Well... not as common as canadian pennies in a penny box or anything. But I seem to see a lot more of these posted than other coins found in halve boxes... commemoratives and such.

Just my opinion though. ;) I was searching almost 20 boxes a week towards the end of summer and didn't find a single foreign OR commemorative, so I only have others finds to go on. =)

~Dave
 
That is true...they are probably one of the most common if not the most common foreign coin finds in half dollar rolls/boxes. Compared to others I don't find a lot of foreign coins to begin with in the halves so it could just be my area.
 
That is one super cool coin! Can I buy it from ya? Ill give you fifty cents :)
 
Panama's exchange rate is tied directly to the US dollar. So 50 cents for the Medio Balboa is a equal trade. Unless there's a numismatic opportunity for that date/grade.

I found 3 this year. I like them because they were minted in 1975, my birth year. Can't find Kennedies with that year on them as you know.

They are a neat coin.

--Bjorn
 
BBcardsRI said:
The old ones are silver I believe, but your is not old enough.
I believe 1972 was the last year for silver balboas (40%)
 
72? NICE... that makes Panama one of the last ones to drop silver from coinage, right?

Certainly outlasted us.

~Dave
 
They are exactly the same other then the design. As a matter of fact I belive the US mint makes them for Panama. I have only found 3 or 4 so far..... I think I threw them all back though....... not really worth saving in my opinion.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom