Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My First Barber Coin, And Much More, Courtesy Of The "Spoon Graveyard"

Hello and Happy Tuesday!!! (Wednesday morning, if you want to get technical. ;))

I went back to the "Spoon Graveyard" again today and hit it hard, and once again it was time well spent. This place continues to give up nice relics and coins with astonishing frequency. It's the most fun I've ever had hunting a place. Goodies galore.

Here's what I bagged today:

• 1898 Barber Dime -- My first Barber coin!!! I was very happy, to say the least. I had to tear away a huge root, and about six inches down, I saw a lovely sliver of silver. I danced a jig. ;D
  • 1909 Wheatie -- Sorry, no "S VDB" :-[
  • Lead toy horse -- I LOVE this find
  • Another nice old skeleton key
  • Two buckles/clasps -- I really "dig" the ornate one ;)
  • Another old pocketknife (third from the site)
  • Several harmonica reed fragments, as well as a nearly intact harmonica (first time I've dug one in this kind of shape)
  • Of course, two more spoons (bringing the total from this one site to 13), and a rarity -- a silver-plated dinner knife
  • A small, intact milk-glass tub of Lustre-Creme shampoo (1940s-1950s)
  • Very old tube of Vaseline (Date Unknown, but probably turn-of-the-century or older)
  • A rusted gun of some kind (real or toy?)
  • A lid with the word "Blanco" (???)
  • Misc. relics and whatsits, including a small inkwell lid; what appears to be the top of a baby's rattle; a hose nozzle; a watering can spout; some interesting lead (the big piece kinda looks like a dog's head; and more
  • What would a day MDing be without shotgun shells? ;)
  • Assorted glass and pottery, including a mason jar lid and a nice thick old blue soda/beer bottle

Well, you all told me to keep pounding until I found the old silver, and you were right. Thanks for looking, and I hope to have more to show you, soon!!!

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

Attachments

• Barber_Dime_1898_both.jpg
    Barber_Dime_1898_both.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 894
  • Wheat_1909_both.jpg
    Wheat_1909_both.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 881
  • Horse_Both.jpg
    Horse_Both.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 867
  • Key 2.jpg
    Key 2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 874
  • Buckle3.jpg
    Buckle3.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 874
  • Knives 02 and reeds.jpg
    Knives 02 and reeds.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 890
  • Harmonica both.jpg
    Harmonica both.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 871
  • Harmonica side.jpg
    Harmonica side.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 859
  • Spoons_07_both.jpg
    Spoons_07_both.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 848
  • Lustre-Creme both.jpg
    Lustre-Creme both.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 833
  • Vaseline_both.jpg
    Vaseline_both.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 840
  • Gun_both.jpg
    Gun_both.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 823
Upvote 0

topdog

Dec 2, 2007
Navarre, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Re: My First Barber Coin, And Much More, Courtesy Of The "Spoon Graveyard"

Congrats, looks like a really great site to hunt. Awesome looking finds, thanks for sharing.

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Hey Brandon, not bad my friend, first Barber coin and it's from the 1800's! WTG! Also, you were only six years off from it being a Seated. Keep searching, and hit those woods. If you want some help send me a PM!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats Brandon on the Barber and the rest of your great finds. Love the horse and key. Looks like you have a heck of a spot there. Keep digging!

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)

WOW
Nice collection of finds! Keep it up!

~Tom

K

KirkTN

Great finds.. There's no tellin' what you may pluck out next. Appears to be a very fun site to hunt.

Treasure The Hunt

KirkTN

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Congrats on that first Barber! I love looking at an assortment of old, recognizable relics, too.

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil

Brenden,

Super cool finds there. That old toy horse is superb. Congrats of a fantastic day hunting. I would be sleeping there until there was no more signals. ;)

BB

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bookfisher said:
Hey Brandon, not bad my friend, first Barber coin and it's from the 1800's! WTG! Also, you were only six years off from it being a Seated. Keep searching, and hit those woods. If you want some help send me a PM!

Thanks Bill, and I should also thank you for your help -- your ideas about "new growth" blanketing "old farmland" have been right on the money, and have been a big part of my searching process. And what's funny is that although the big open fields do hold their goodies -- Joe G. dug a nice 1909 Barber quarter at one of my other spots, right in the middle of a field -- they also have a lot more modern junk to sift through, like the neverending can slaw. The beauty of finding the now-overgrown spots is they're likely to have remained far more untouched, like a buried time capsule. It's so nice to have a place where you can dig every signal...

Thanks again,
Brendan

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Baldingboy said:
Brenden,

Super cool finds there. That old toy horse is superb. Congrats of a fantastic day hunting. I would be sleeping there until there was no more signals. ;)

BB

Thanks, BB and Michiganne. Glad you dig the horse and key; man what fun it was to dig 'em! I think I was getting like a slight penny-dime reading (mid-70s VDI on the XLT) right near a log for the horse. I also believe the skeleton key was also found right near the edge of a fallen tree. I'm finding it pays to try and check those "inconvenient" places...

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Halfdime, KirkTN, Ashleysflyr, TopDog and MasterSarge, for the congrats, and for looking and posting. I'm glad you enjoyed the thread. You know, I have to admit I'd probably rather not bring the whole TNet community down to my spot for a club hunt, ;D but I DO hope you all are having as much fun as I am right now. We all deserve our sweet spots!!! ;)

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It was incredibly warm yesterday and I KNEW you were diggin :) Great job on the Barber dime! Never got one of those.

You've sure been picking up a great variety of stuff there. I love that little horse too! That's a real cool find!

Congrats

Epiphany

Feb 5, 2008
Dutchess County New York
Detector(s) used
ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Brendan,
just for my own knowlage, can you tell me roughly how deep most of these coins were, and what type of soil, i take it that these were all long island finds? thanks... Craig

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Epiphany said:
Brendan,
just for my own knowlage, can you tell me roughly how deep most of these coins were, and what type of soil, i take it that these were all long island finds? thanks... Craig

Yes, these were all Long Island finds, on the South Shore. I've been finding that almost everything is 3-6 inches down. The soil is very dark and rich -- the area used to be farmland.... Are you on Long Island?

Cheers,
B

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Joe G said:
It was incredibly warm yesterday and I KNEW you were diggin :) Great job on the Barber dime! Never got one of those.

You've sure been picking up a great variety of stuff there. I love that little horse too! That's a real cool find!

Congrats

Haha, thanks Joe. You know me too well! :) Are all your Barbers quarters?

Yeah, it's been a great run at this one particular spot. I'm kind of amazed by it. Glad you dig the horse. I couldn't believe it! Thanks for the congrats and for looking. I enjoy sharing this stuff with you, since you know all about those days when I go home empty-handed!

Talk to you soon bud.

Cheers,
B

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

W :o W!! That's my kind of digging, love the horse, the key, old harmonica...shoot, I love everything. Looks like you found yourself a treasure haven. Keep us informed of the goodies found there.

;) RR

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe

Way to go Brendan!!!!! Sending a big ATA-BOY on your first barber. SWEEEEEET finds for the day.
Looks like your on a good site. 8) 8)

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II

Really cool finds! What a tease that 1909 no S VDB wheatie, huh..
Congrats...

Epiphany

Feb 5, 2008
Dutchess County New York
Detector(s) used
ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Brendan,
No im in Dutchess county, not too far from the city, i actually had a post looking for safe areas to do some beach mding this weekend, the weather hasnt been too bad except for the rain, i can always dress warm. Id just go my self but havent been to LI since iwas like 4 or 5, and im not very firmilar with the roads. Ive been looking for someone to md with but not too many people around here do it ( too many westchester types here ). My dad got me started a few years back, but his knees and back cant really take it. Well congrats on the finds, keep up the good work. Craig...

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

River Rat said:
W :o W!! That's my kind of digging, love the horse, the key, old harmonica...shoot, I love everything. Looks like you found yourself a treasure haven. Keep us informed of the goodies found there.

;) RR

RR, glad you liked the finds. I agree -- sometimes the relics are as much fun or even more fun than coinshooting. If you can get both, well that's heaven. :)

It really is an incredible place. I think I've made six or seven trips there, and each time I've come home with a nice pouch full of goodies. That's something that you don't usually expect, especially here on Long Island. Check out some of my previous posts (all in the last month or so) and you can see a pretty complete list of all the finds so far. Again, thanks!

Cheers,
Brendan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread