My first case

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I sold a vintage tape player/recorder that was tested and worked fine and was in like new condition. Today a case was opened and the buyer who buys a lot of electronic equipment tells me it was not as described because it ate one of his tapes. He said he could replace the belt that costs 15 dollars.

I sent a message back saying I am sorry that he was not satisfied and asked how we can resolve this. There was a mini bidding war on this player that I picked up for 3 bucks that drove the final price to 25.99 + 17.00 shipping. Since it only cost 11 to ship, I refunded the buyer 5 bucks already. So I made 1 dollar for handling.

My question is, If I offer 15 bucks back to replace the belt, could he then just say that the belt was changed but that was not the problem and open a new case for a full refund? Would I then be out the full refund plus the 15 bucks?

I am thinking of just offering a full refund and saying forget about trying to repair it.

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do offer the $15 refund, call eBay and talk to them first.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would just say send it back and ill refund you,had it happen to me before thats what i said and herd nothing,you will get some that try to get money back on it do not go for it send it back or nothing is how i play the game now.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On things like this I usually just full refund and let them keep the item. You can ask for it back, but unless you want to cover the additional shipping, you are going to have a customer who is out an item and is out money and that is probably going to = a neg review. If the item was of great value say over 50 dollars I will ask for the item returned and pay for the additional shipping of the item back.

I ship between 160 - 300 items a month and I usually only have 5 to 6 returns a year for broken items or items not as described. I know some people are going to worry about scams but eBay is much safer in my experience then all the physical outlets I use to sell product. I see more scams at shows and customers in my shop trying to scam me then I have ever seen on eBay.

If I feel that the user is dishonest I will add him to my ignore list so he can not bid on my items any more.

Cheers - Koffee

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would offer return it for a full refund. You will probably not hear from him again. I think its a weird way people can be the highest bidder and then negotiate the price down later. Tape players can eat the occasional tape. Maybe it was his tape. If he actually does send it back then I might consider refunding the shipping. On the chance you totally believe him give him the $15.

OP
OP
Justice70

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advise guys. I have offered to give a refund but I have not heard back from him. I am thinking about sending him another message letting him know I will pay for shipping if he does return it just to avoid the neg. feedback.

Koffee, that sounds like a sound business practice you got there on handling these situations. I also agree it's a good idea to block the ones you feel is dishonest.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advise guys. I have offered to give a refund but I have not heard back from him. I am thinking about sending him another message letting him know I will pay for shipping if he does return it just to avoid the neg. feedback.
Do not message him back offering to pay his return shipping. I have never been left a neg. fb because of an item returned. And as dumpsterdiver said, most of the time you don't hear from them again and they don't even return the item. I too have given refunds before and told the customer to keep the item before, several times over the last decade anyway.

OP
OP
Justice70

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not message him back offering to pay his return shipping. I have never been left a neg. fb because of an item returned. And as dumpsterdiver said, most of the time you don't hear from them again and they don't even return the item. I too have given refunds before and told the customer to keep the item before, several times over the last decade anyway.

Yeah, I'm just going to let it ride and hope for the best, thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread