My first Charleston Slave Tag (partial)!! Plus other weekend finds!

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got back out to the coastal site VMI and I have been digging for the last couple weekends. He was out yaking somewhere and I dug a Charleston Slave/Servant tag! It is just the top part but it was enough for me to know exactly what it was. I searched frantically for the rest of it but luck was against me on that. We think it might be a later version due to the small size. IMG_3352.jpgIMG_3353.jpg

I sent a pic to VMI then immediately eyeballed a 1880's 3 piece mold Ale/Beer bottle in the mud. I have no idea how this survived all these years in the rocks on the coast. Its a pretty cool bottle and my oldest intact bottle thus far. After sending a pic of the bottle I got a call from VMI "I'm pulling up now" He couldn't let me find everything! IMG_3347.jpgIMG_3348.jpgIMG_3349.jpgIMG_3350.jpgIMG_3351.jpg

I found another weird piece of lead that looks like cut silver. Not sure what these are but I keep finding them. IMG_3354.jpgIMG_3355.jpg

This next little medal thing I'm pretty sure is aluminum. It is really cool. Haven't found anything like it. Looks like a woman playing a violin. Any help on this one would be appreciated. IMG_3356.jpgIMG_3357.jpg

This button looking thing had me going! I was close to some civil war activity when i found this so i was pumped. I cleaned it up and saw the dreaded E right in the center of it! WTF is that! No idea what this is. IMG_3360.jpgIMG_3361.jpg

Finally here are what i believe to be Brass Knuckles from the coastal site. A little cruddy but pretty sure thats what it is. Then some old nails? not sure not iron. IMG_3362.jpgIMG_3363.jpg

Upvote 19
Huge congrats bro! Finding a slave tag, no matter whole or part, is an outstanding find! What a thrill to hold such a historical relic in your hand. Congrats again!

Thanks Darby!! It was very much a thrill thats for sure! Now its time to find a full one!

Some really nice finds. Like you, I think it's a miracle that bottle has survived intact! That is a true show piece.

Yeah especially where it was found. Nothing but fragments and a few small bottles. It was a pleasant surprise.

Great digs Nick tag is nice but I love that intact bottle. Hey great finds and with Jon's machine too gotta love it

What a shame...but a piece of one is much more than many will ever dig!!! Nice!

GT

Yeah the second I saw the hole punched I just knew! Now its time for me to find a full one!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back