My first coin find.

Stroover

Mar 28, 2006
Canadian East Coast
While geocaching I came across the foundation of a house of long ago. I later came back with my metal detector in the hopes of finding old coins. Walked around the foundation and the detector was screamming every foot or so. Dug out a few plugs and they all had nails. I also noticed charred wood fragments, suggesting the house had burned, so I decided not to waste my time all day digging nails. I noticed the remnants of a trail leading away from the house towards the river. Followed it, got a signal, dug up a 1943 canadian penny. It ain't much, but it's my first coin find! :)

Any suggestions as to whether I should work the house some more, or would I just be wasting my time. It would appear to be an old farming house, as the area seems to have been farmed in the past. The land now belongs to a local church.

depends on how many nails you have to dig to get to the good stuff -- how old is the house/foundation? If there was a chance for seated coins I'd be digging. All the nails should be on-top hiding the good signals :)

Good times -- and congrats on the 43 penny

Gabbit said:
depends on how many nails you have to dig to get to the good stuff -- how old is the house/foundation? If there was a chance for seated coins I'd be digging. All the nails should be on-top hiding the good signals :)

Good times -- and congrats on the 43 penny
What are "seated coins"? As for the house's age, don't know other then judging by the coin it could've burned down no sooner then 1943. The foundation looks to be well over 100 years, being fragmented in places and just looks like old cement, if you know what I mean. Not much seems to be known about the house. Maybe I should check with town hall?

ahh -- that's right -- Canadian eh -- basically would your finds be 100 years or older? Sounds like it -- I would dig nails all day just to find one coin over 100 years old :)

Before hunting someone else's property, one should always ask permission. I would talk to the church before doing any more hunting. While I'm almost certain they would say yes, it keeps the conscience clear. ;D
HH,
Bob

HobBob said:
Before hunting someone else's property, one should always ask permission. I would talk to the church before doing any more hunting. While I'm almost certain they would say yes, it keeps the conscience clear. ;D
HH,
Bob
That goes without saying, nevertheless still a good reminder. :)

By the way, I still don't know what's a "seated coin". Is it a coin with an image of someone sitting? I'd really like to know. Googling it hasn't brought me any results as far as a definition goes.

Stroover said:
By the way, I still don't know what's a "seated coin". Is it a coin with an image of someone sitting? I'd really like to know. Googling it hasn't brought me any results as far as a definition goes.

here is an example of a seated coin

Attachments

• seated.jpg
    seated.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 265
Ok. So, that makes it a seated coin because...? I just don't get the "seated" part. Is it because of the person who is kind of sitting down? ??? Are they only American coins? Is it because of the way they were minted, or of their alloy? :-\

lucky1777 said:
Lady Liberty is sitting down, we have other older coins where she is walking and standing. Hope this helps

Ahhh! ok, thanks!

By the way, I now have coin #2 to add: a 1953 american penny with wheat on the sides. I think you guys call it a wheatie? Coin shootin' is pretty fun! I think I'm getting hooked. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back