What's new

My first colonial buttons

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2011
Messages
1,158
Reaction score
488
Golden Thread
1
Location
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had the privilege of being invited to detect at the site of a colonial church (1730's to 1811) in Duplin County today. It was a satisfying day and I am glad to have saved some history.
 

Attachments

  • Duplin County 10 March 2012 (1).webp
    Duplin County 10 March 2012 (1).webp
    10.7 KB · Views: 656
  • Duplin County 10 March 2012 (2).webp
    Duplin County 10 March 2012 (2).webp
    5.4 KB · Views: 650
  • Duplin County 10 March 2012 (3).webp
    Duplin County 10 March 2012 (3).webp
    6.1 KB · Views: 720
  • Duplin County 10 March 2012 (4).webp
    Duplin County 10 March 2012 (4).webp
    12 KB · Views: 719
  • Duplin County 10 March 2012 (5).webp
    Duplin County 10 March 2012 (5).webp
    4.8 KB · Views: 734
Upvote 0
Pull tabs come in at around a 58-59 on my G2 so I had mine set high at 60. I was digging anything higher than 60. The button came in around 72ish..Next time I will turn it down and dig more....Its a new machine for me so I am still trying to figure out all the numbers.
 
Papa Bear said:
Pull tabs come in at around a 58-59 on my G2 so I had mine set high at 60. I was digging anything higher than 60. The button came in around 72ish..Next time I will turn it down and dig more....Its a new machine for me so I am still trying to figure out all the numbers.

yes, on a site that old, there are many good finds that will register below 60.. keep us updated :icon_thumleft:
 
umrgolf said:
those are oldies, I guess the G2 setup is different if you set disc to 40 on old sites... On my Gold Bug Pro, the square nails hit around 25-28, so I set the disc to 31 and dig everything that even halfway chirps... hell, I even dig the nails :laughing9:

foil comes in around 42 on mine, what about the G2? the kepi letter A (stamped brass) from 2 days ago was a solid 40

umrgolf...same set up on the two machines...I just run mine at 40 in old sites, I probably should go lower, but I'm having great success diggin anything that halfway chirps, so I'm gonna ride that setting awhile longer.

Papa Bear...yes, go back and drop that discrim! You're missing good things hiding out in those lower numbers. Old stuff made of different alloys, plus 200 years of corrosion, plus tons of things together means you can't rely on ID at all. Don't watch the screen, just dig :-)
 
Okay! Okay! :notworthy:
 
I would bet there is more there to be found. What is that fancy looking piece with the flower and ribbons?
 
mikusek said:
I would bet there is more there to be found. What is that fancy looking piece with the flower and ribbons?

I am told it is part of a colonial shoe buckle.
 
Woodland Detectors said:
Very Nice saves! Great looking buttons :headbang:

Thanks Mike! The G2 is a great machine! Next time I will lower the discrimination though.....
 
Looks like you're in a hot spot. Looking forward to see what else you find.
 
OK Papa Bear, I'm gonna lay off the site until you get back. Enjoyed digging with you. Good Job
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom