What's new

My first colonial buttons

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2011
Messages
1,158
Reaction score
488
Golden Thread
1
Location
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had the privilege of being invited to detect at the site of a colonial church (1730's to 1811) in Duplin County today. It was a satisfying day and I am glad to have saved some history.
 

Attachments

  • Duplin County 10 March 2012 (1).webp
    Duplin County 10 March 2012 (1).webp
    10.7 KB · Views: 656
  • Duplin County 10 March 2012 (2).webp
    Duplin County 10 March 2012 (2).webp
    5.4 KB · Views: 650
  • Duplin County 10 March 2012 (3).webp
    Duplin County 10 March 2012 (3).webp
    6.1 KB · Views: 720
  • Duplin County 10 March 2012 (4).webp
    Duplin County 10 March 2012 (4).webp
    12 KB · Views: 719
  • Duplin County 10 March 2012 (5).webp
    Duplin County 10 March 2012 (5).webp
    4.8 KB · Views: 734
Upvote 0
Re: First colonial buttons

Most cool, Pop!! I couldn't make out any of the writing on the buttons.....have you been able to see it? It is super that they are in such intact condition.
 
Re: First colonial buttons

Roland58 said:
Most cool, Pop!! I couldn't make out any of the writing on the buttons.....have you been able to see it? It is super that they are in such intact condition.

Unfortunately they were blank.
 
Re: First colonial buttons

Two colonial buttons and two shoe buckle frags. Should be and early copper or Spanish silver lurking somewhere around there.
 
Re: First colonial buttons

Steve in PA said:
Two colonial buttons and two shoe buckle frags. Should be and early copper or Spanish silver lurking somewhere around there.

Shoe buckle fragments? I had no idea what they were. I was just chuffed to get the buttons. I got two small buttons too but the backings were missing on them. I am sure I will be back in that field.
 
Re: First colonial buttons

That is an old site Bear. Nice buttons, Quindy.
 
Re: First colonial buttons

VOL1266-X said:
That is an old site Bear. Nice buttons, Quindy.

Thanks Quindy! My new G2 helped a lot with some deep recoveries.
 
Re: First colonial buttons

Papa Bear said:
Steve in PA said:
Two colonial buttons and two shoe buckle frags. Should be and early copper or Spanish silver lurking somewhere around there.

Shoe buckle fragments? I had no idea what they were. I was just chuffed to get the buttons. I got two small buttons too but the backings were missing on them. I am sure I will be back in that field.

Yeap, late 1700s shoe buckle pieces :hello2:
 
Re: First colonial buttons

CRUSADER said:
Papa Bear said:
Steve in PA said:
Two colonial buttons and two shoe buckle frags. Should be and early copper or Spanish silver lurking somewhere around there.

Shoe buckle fragments? I had no idea what they were. I was just chuffed to get the buttons. I got two small buttons too but the backings were missing on them. I am sure I will be back in that field.

Yeap, late 1700s shoe buckle pieces :hello2:

Well thanks Crusader! I will do some sleuthing online then!
 
Yep, those are old flat buttons, buckle frags and a furniture tack. Typical colonial site finds so there should be some colonial silver in there. Get back out there and find more goodies :icon_thumright:
 
Killer saves James! I found a little flat button yesterday . First in a long time.
 
joeyfresh said:
Yep, those are old flat buttons, buckle frags and a furniture tack. Typical colonial site finds so there should be some colonial silver in there. Get back out there and find more goodies :icon_thumright:

Thanks! I will try and get out there next week

birdman said:
Killer saves James! I found a little flat button yesterday . First in a long time.

Excellent! We will have to get a hunt in somewhere before I leave NC
 
congrats! I know how exciting that is! nice finds
 
The G2 rocks, when you find a site this old, set that baby to 40 and dig anything that even remotely sounds high tone.

Have ya got the 5" coil it?
 
adventureswithjim said:
The G2 rocks, when you find a site this old, set that baby to 40 and dig anything that even remotely sounds high tone.

Have ya got the 5" coil it?

It has the stock coil on it.
 
Great site indicators!
You are fortunate to be able to search there, Best wishes! :thumbsup:
 
steelheadwill said:
Great site indicators!
You are fortunate to be able to search there, Best wishes! :thumbsup:

It had been hit about 20 years ago hard from what I have heard. csachipper had been there twice before and yet we still found plenty of relics. I will try and get out there soon.
 
Nice buttons! Now that you have a taste, you will start digging them on every outing!
 
Neil in West Jersey said:
Nice buttons! Now that you have a taste, you will start digging them on every outing!

I hope so!!
 
those are oldies, I guess the G2 setup is different if you set disc to 40 on old sites... On my Gold Bug Pro, the square nails hit around 25-28, so I set the disc to 31 and dig everything that even halfway chirps... hell, I even dig the nails :laughing9:

foil comes in around 42 on mine, what about the G2? the kepi letter A (stamped brass) from 2 days ago was a solid 40
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom