Nov 6, 2015
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre
Ace 350
T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a couple of finds today that have me excited. A small bullet that I'm can't seem to find out what kind it is, but I know the area where it comes from was definitely confederate. And a soldier made nipple protector. I also found some round shot, a pulled 58, some rivets and a percussion cap, The other bullets I'm not sure are period correct but a couple are drops so hey haven't been fired but there was no brass with them. I need to hurry and get a book to start identifying what I find any suggestions?

IMG_0656.JPG IMG_0657.JPG IMG_0658.JPG IMG_0659.JPG

Upvote 5

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Well, in addition to the nice CW-era finds you dug you also have 6 post-CW .38 caliber (probably) semi-wadcutters (one well mushroomed) and what might be a .22 rimfire round.

Last edited:

tennessee

Feb 8, 2013
East tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great saves. Hope this area is a large one and gives you years and years of excitement. Yes, definately buy a few good relic books.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a few good finds, but nothing definitively confederate there.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. The darker bullets are modern. The brass pieces and others Civil War.

OP
OP
P

pcc

Nov 6, 2015
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre
Ace 350
T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody. Does anyone know what the small bullet may be? I've been trying to find out what it is but not having any luck. I've never seen one like it.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The small "bullet" looks like a fishing sinker to me. You need to post a picture of the pointed end as well as accurate measurements to get a proper ID.

OP
OP
P

pcc

Nov 6, 2015
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre
Ace 350
T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The small "bullet" looks like a fishing sinker to me. You need to post a picture of the pointed end as well as accurate measurements to get a proper ID.

Pretty sure it's not a sinker although it does look like one. There is no hole through it and the area where it was found isn't a camp and there is nowhere close to fish. It measures
11.5mm x 11.5mm and weighs 7.7 grams. Here's a couple of more pics.

IMG_0662.JPG IMG_0664.JPG

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure it's not a sinker although it does look like one. There is no hole through it and the area where it was found isn't a camp and there is nowhere close to fish. It measures
11.5mm x 11.5mm and weighs 7.7 grams. Here's a couple of more pics.

View attachment 1248779 View attachment 1248780

Don't think its a bullet, unless it was re-shaped. Homemade poker chip / gaming piece or weight.

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the finds. One very good book is titled Civil War Projectiles II Small Arms and Field Artillery by W. Reid McKee & M. E. Mason, Jr. . .....shows photos of bullets along with dia.,lgth., wgt., cal., and in most cases union or confed.
Also has a great section on shells and fuses. I just identified a fuse adapter by an exact photo that I really wasn't sure about because it had no threads for screwing into a shell.....found it on page 152 #51...you'll use this book a lot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread