What's new

My first confederate relics!

pcc

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2015
Messages
21
Reaction score
46
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre
Ace 350
T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a couple of finds today that have me excited. A small bullet that I'm can't seem to find out what kind it is, but I know the area where it comes from was definitely confederate. And a soldier made nipple protector. I also found some round shot, a pulled 58, some rivets and a percussion cap, The other bullets I'm not sure are period correct but a couple are drops so hey haven't been fired but there was no brass with them. I need to hurry and get a book to start identifying what I find any suggestions?

IMG_0656.webpIMG_0657.webpIMG_0658.webpIMG_0659.webp
 
Upvote 10
Well, in addition to the nice CW-era finds you dug you also have 6 post-CW .38 caliber (probably) semi-wadcutters (one well mushroomed) and what might be a .22 rimfire round.
 
Last edited:
Great saves. Hope this area is a large one and gives you years and years of excitement. Yes, definately buy a few good relic books.
 
Definitely a few good finds, but nothing definitively confederate there.
 
Nice finds. The darker bullets are modern. The brass pieces and others Civil War.
 
Thanks everybody. Does anyone know what the small bullet may be? I've been trying to find out what it is but not having any luck. I've never seen one like it.
 
The small "bullet" looks like a fishing sinker to me. You need to post a picture of the pointed end as well as accurate measurements to get a proper ID.
 
The small "bullet" looks like a fishing sinker to me. You need to post a picture of the pointed end as well as accurate measurements to get a proper ID.

Pretty sure it's not a sinker although it does look like one. There is no hole through it and the area where it was found isn't a camp and there is nowhere close to fish. It measures
11.5mm x 11.5mm and weighs 7.7 grams. Here's a couple of more pics.

IMG_0662.webpIMG_0664.webp
 
Pretty sure it's not a sinker although it does look like one. There is no hole through it and the area where it was found isn't a camp and there is nowhere close to fish. It measures
11.5mm x 11.5mm and weighs 7.7 grams. Here's a couple of more pics.

View attachment 1248779View attachment 1248780

Don't think its a bullet, unless it was re-shaped. Homemade poker chip / gaming piece or weight.
 
Congrats on the finds. One very good book is titled Civil War Projectiles II Small Arms and Field Artillery by W. Reid McKee & M. E. Mason, Jr. . .....shows photos of bullets along with dia.,lgth., wgt., cal., and in most cases union or confed.
Also has a great section on shells and fuses. I just identified a fuse adapter by an exact photo that I really wasn't sure about because it had no threads for screwing into a shell.....found it on page 152 #51...you'll use this book a lot.
 
Nice job. Any Civil War relic is a nice relic.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom