lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
13-16inchblue.jpg

Got this while I was in England metal detecting last year. It was just laying on top of the dirt after a recent rain. I saw it from over 100 feet away!

Maybe someone who knows marbles can tell me about it? I suspect it is an old 'wire pull', possibly 100 years old, but not sure. It has a few surface imperfections from manufacture and some bits of accidental inclusions, bubbles, etc that make it very interesting.

Attachments

• blue view two.JPG
    blue view two.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 337

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
wirepull is the thing!!!!im not sure about the age...you could be bout 50 years too old on your guesstimate nice marble...

OP
OP
lab rat

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks, Duffytrash! Yeah, just learned today that German-made wirepull marbles were produced as late as the 1970's. I need a better book... Still won't get me to part with this marble, though! ;D

...any recommendations on a book?

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
yes rat...the best book to get would be American machine made marbles by dean six,sisie metzler.and michael johnson...isbn:0-7643-2464-0...it should be availiable on ebay....the books by block and others are outdated ......the book i mentioned has great history of the lesser companies and is the most helpful book on the market....dont rely on values ....marble prices flucuate wildly...the book is the most informative ....the best way to id marbles is by going to a show or finding a collector in your area....parusing ebay is another good way to id marbles...marble alan and vintagemarbles are usually spot on on their ids but many on ebay are misided...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread