My first Indian!

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

Yesterday I read a little of the local paper, and was fascinated by an article about some local history. In 1781, just a few miles from my house, a very large British force attacked a group of Patriots and killed 60 soldiers. Withing a quarter mile from this location stands 3 houses built around 1830 and a bit farther is a church from the 1790s. Having read that, I was very interested in hunting the area. I headed to the church first, but noone was there. Bummed, I drove to another nearby church, noone again. So I headed to one of the old homes - no answer. Almost went home at that point, but I tried one more house and recieved an answer. He told me that I was welcome to detect in the farm fields around his house, but the lawn itself was off limits. He showed me where the old buildings, barns and the like, used to be, and recommended I try there. He also warned me that the area had been detected hundreds of times.

With all of that in mind, I set to huntin. Managed to hunt for about 3-4 hours and had a lot of targets. Found a ton of modern trash, about 2 pounds worth. But there were some goodies nestled in and among them. The first keeper I located was a musketball! The first I have found. Knowing very little about these, I have no idea of the age, but as I said, this area has Pre Revolutionary history, so it could be very old. The next goodie was an intact button with no lettering on it at all. If anyone knows any more about it, please let me know.

After about 2 and a half hours with only one coin in my pouch, a 1980 penny, I was about ready to go home. I kept at it, and I am glad I did. The second coin I found was a good one! 1890 Indian!! My first indian from the turf, and the oldest coin I have found in the dirt. (did find an 1884 morgan at the beach last fall :))

I also found about 10 bullets, and a few shell casings. 3 of them are shotgun shells, and I wanted to ask anyone that knows anything about them if these are noteworthy. The backmarks on them are as follows:
WESTERN PETERS U.M.C. Co.
MADE IN USA No. 12 No. 12
No. 20 HIGH GUN NEW CLUB
SUPER-X

And there was also one other interesting item I found. I am unsure of it entirely, and think it may be a cuff link. But it could also be a large rivet. My wife suggested it may be part of a horses harness. It is in the top right of the photograph. If you ahve any idea, feel free to suggest it. Maybe Ill post it in the other forum.

Thanks for looking,
Anthony

Attachments

• 2-6-09.JPG
    2-6-09.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 478
Upvote 0
see, he said it had been hunted a houndred. But that goes to show you, there is always something else out there if you persist. Like the finds.
.....tornadolady...... :wink:

Great finds, I thought I would jump, and shout when I found my first Indian to. It made my day. HH

If the eye & button is one piece, it could possibly be a cast white metal button dating ~1750-1812, hard to tell from the pic. Nice finds. Ron.

Congrats, Anthony
Sounds like you hit a good spot. Your persistence paid off. I know that asking people for permission isn't always easy. I'm glad
you found somebody home. You have figured out what works: research, permission, and waving that coil. Keep doing what you are
doing and there will be a lot of fascinating finds for you.

HH, Don

CI Guy said:
If the eye & button is one piece, it could possibly be a cast white metal button dating ~1750-1812, hard to tell from the pic. Nice finds. Ron.

Here are some more pictures of the button. Hard to get good closeups, and they are a little fuzzy. But they do show the shape of the button and shank.

Attachments

• button closeup.JPG
    button closeup.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 377
Nice! Keep em' comeing!

Atlantian said:
Congrats on the IH here is some websites to help
http://cartridgecollectors.org/
http://members.shaw.ca/cartridge-corner/shotgun.htm

or google headstamp U.M.C. Co. New Club

Great websites! Thank you. I was able to identify and date two of them. The Peters shell was made from 1887 to 1934. The U.M.C.Co. Shell was made between 1867 and 1911. Both combined with remington way back when. Awesome info, thank you thank you thank you!!

Ooh, just looked at the Western again, and have it nailed down too. 1898 to 1932! They combined with whinchester. I love the internet!
Anthony

Great finds! Seemed like I went a long time before my first Indian Head came to me.

All of your finds are great! Congrats on the whole bunch!!! :thumbsup:

The pictures are too fuzzy for me to really tell what type button. I'm not an expert by any means on buttons. Maybe someone out there could help with the exact I.D. Should be some more good relics around there though. HH, Ron.

Thank you either way. I appreciate the help reguardless. Does not seem like a significant button, but I still like knowing the approxamite age :). Being this is the second button in my collection, it means more to me than to someone with hundreds I would assume.

Anthony

nice finds. that just shows you no site is hunted out....Matt

Anthony,

Congrat on your field finds. No matter how many md'ers have been in an area before you, there's always more to find!

Your button looks to be a one-piece, which would make it a fairly old one....pre 1840's. Can you clean it up a little?

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Captn_SE said:
Anthony,

Congrat on your field finds. No matter how many md'ers have been in an area before you, there's always more to find!

Your button looks to be a one-piece, which would make it a fairly old one....pre 1840's. Can you clean it up a little?

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Being new to the turf scene, I have no idea how to clean. All I know is, not cleaning it will not screw it up, while cleaning it improperly will. I am all ears for suggestions. All I have done so far is gentle toothbrush scrub with soap and water.
Anthony

Congratulations on your first IH Anthony. I just knelt for a while and stared at my first Indian Head,tooks some pictures and then stared some more ;D
Jerry

You will always remember that first indian Anthony! congrats! I'm sure there will be many more to come.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back