Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took today off because the last few weeks have been dastardly busy. I was talking to a guy who used to live in my area when there were no subdivisions there. I told him what I like doing and asked him about a spot near my house. The reason I asked was because it just looked like a spot where a house would have stood. Sure enough, he told me that an extremely old farmhouse used to sit in that spot.

That's all I needed to hear and headed over today since that area is now community space. The first location I tried was probably graded and I only found junk. I decided to head back in the woods and found a very old hoe there. I circled back around to the back of the spot, came out of the woods, and started hunted the area in front of me.

I swear, not a foot out of the woods, about and inch or two down, I found this large cent. I about flipped out since it is my first. Date looks like an 1846. Pics of before the run under the tap and after. I would appreciate any comments on how to proceed with cleaning as I know I want to proceed carefully.

IMG00242-20110408-1249.jpg

IMG00241-20110408-1248.jpg

IMG00244-20110408-1444.jpg

IMG00243-20110408-1415.jpg

Upvote 0
Congrats! I remember how I felt when I found my first one. Its in pretty good shape too.

Nice dig!! :headbang:

I would love to find one of those... But the odds are against me here in OK... :'(

Great find. I think I would leave it the way it is but there is a tnet forum for "cleaning and preservation". I have learned a lot from that forum.

ah, thanx for the heads up on the other forum...didnt even think to look. think ill head out real quick to try that area again. ;D

nice large cent. i would leave it alone.. if anything hit it with a soft toothbrush no water. tex

That's a beauty. Cleaning is not what I would do to my first LC. The dry brushing idea sounds ok but peroxide does not seem needed.

Thanks for the comments. I think I will just leave it as is.

:icon_thumleft: Totally cool! Mine aren't even close to looking that good there so weathered they look like copper pogs can kinda make out a bust.. Beautiful cent though! :icon_thumright:

Congrats on a great find. All I've found so far is clad. But I did find a pocket spill from the 70's (according to the coin dates) this past Wednesday......2 quarters, 3 dimes, and a half a handfull of pennies.

Congrats!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Miner

Congrats on your first large cent. I remember my first one. 1793 flowing hair. I'll probably never find another. Its in such terrible shape. can only really make out some of the hair and a little of the profile. the back and date are completely gone but its 1 of 63,000. Its still my favorite find ever!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back