My first MERC

outdoorgirl

Nov 21, 2006
Eastern NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was about 2 inches deep and in a ball of hard dirt. I wiped part of the dirt away and saw something shinning back at me. Didn't really know what it was until I turned it over. It's a 1942 and in pretty good condition except for a small hole at the top. Does that mean anything? Sorry again for not posting any pics. I had borrowed a camera from a friend of mine yesterday. Can't wait until tomorrow!

Upvote 0
Let's hope that Mercury is just the first of many! Just be happy that hole wasn't in a real valuable coin.

Very nice! :D

Some coins'll have a hole punched into them. Usually someone at some point tied a string in the hole and wore it as jewelery. Also a bunch of friends of mine in junior high used to have quarters that they punched holes in and tied fishing line in it and used it in soda machines so they could get free sodas. Not ethical of course, and I think they have safety precautions against that now, but still...could be! :)

Congrats on the first merc! Should be something else good there where you found it...HH!

gotta love those mercs! if you dont have a camera, try scanning the coin into your computer. it works for me ;) congrats on a nice find!

That is really awesome. Remember where my first Merc came from. It was my first silver coin. Wonderful design and always a welcome find.

Congratulations on that great first of many more to come,

Postalrevnant

Congrats on the silver, look forward to the pics! HH, Mike

hole at the top ? hmmm
maybe its religious(holy)
snare ,snare, cymbal

Baron Von De Kalb said:
hole at the top ? hmmm
maybe its religious(holy)
snare ,snare, cymbal

anyway ;D :D ;D
Holy silver ::)

It's Hi Ho Silver ;D

Congrat on the silver.

have a good un................

Congrats on your first Merc. I hope you find many more. Good going.
Mike in NJ

Congrats on your first merc. Folks do funny things with coins; maybe it fell off of a chain that someone was wearing.

My god!.........a beautiful female detectorist!.............MARRY ME!!!!!!!!! lmao

Oh, wtg on the merc too lmao.

I found my first on a club hunt several months ago. I will never forget it. I've found several more since, but that first will always be special. Congratualtions on your find! I hope you find lots more and soon!

HH,
Ramapirate

Congrats on the first Merc. Mine was a 43' and I hit it with the digger. I know. I'm lame.....Some folks used to punch holes in coins and use them as pacifiers for their babies. Maybe it was just a cheap pacifier. :o

Laater...

Congrats on the first merc.

It was holed because someone wore it at one time. It makes it worth less but I'd rather have a holed one. For one reason. It's alot harder to find them holed.

Your gonna find more mercs for sure. 42 was a really common date. I've found alot of mercs but none ever holed.

HH Jer

WOOHOO. Congrats on a first for you! Sounds like a coin someone made into a necklace or something, but you found it and have every right to be proud of that silver.
Kudos
~Nash~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back