What's new

My first Military Button, I hope

Marko0916

Full Member
Joined
May 8, 2012
Messages
223
Reaction score
57
Golden Thread
0
Location
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Excal.II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure it military, Gold Plated, but it has accumulated so much to it and I have no idea how to clean it properly. Should I just leave it soaking in soap water for a month.

I believe I can make out a 38, and it has an intact circle in the back. Found on the shores of Long Island NY. Thanks For Looking
 

Attachments

  • S20160307_0001.webp
    S20160307_0001.webp
    342.2 KB · Views: 116
  • S20160307_0002.webp
    S20160307_0002.webp
    308.1 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 4
That's a "p". Its a police button. They were two piece. . I'm thinking late 1800's.
 
Yea it's a police button I found one just like yoursImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457535008.237607.webp
 
A month in soapy water is a new cleaning method..... check around the site here, you'll find more reliable cleaning methods for all your finds.
Hopefully you get some finds that don't need any cleaning at all!
 
Very cool,, looks like some of that Long Island Salt Water got to that find.
Congrats and be patient with the cleaning,,
There are a few gentler ways to clean brass or copper items.
I'm no expert but you might want to try letting it soak in olive oil for a week.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom