What's new

Old Military Flat Button Wins the Prize Today

Silvermonkey

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2013
Messages
5,606
Reaction score
13,866
Golden Thread
2
Location
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings to all my fellow diggers! I've continued working through a new area which has produced a number of very nice coins and relics from the 1700's and 1800's. Highlights from this afternoon's hunt included an old buckle:

01.webp
03.webp


And a 1837 (?) large cent:

02.webp
06.webp


07.webp


However the highlight of the day turned out to be a one piece military button. I believe this to be an Independent Corps of Cadets, Boston Massachusetts button ( Alberts # MS 59, Tice # 116) from the early 1800's. I would love to get some feedback from any button experts out there. Is the ID correct? Should I do anything to clean it, or leave it "as is". The button is in pretty good shape, given its age, and there is no back mark.

08.webp

09.webp


As always, thanks for taking a look. I wish everyone good hunting!

010.webp
 
Upvote 26
You did outstanding. Thanks for sharing with us
 
Very cool button! Great finds. If you have a set of Andres pencils (available at places like Hobby Lobby) you can start with cleaning/clearing the back of the button just to see if anything gets revealed. The front might be delicate but with careful cleaning you can remove some of the built up dirt. The fluffy one would work good at getting dirt off.
20250920_102121.webp
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll see if I can do some gentle cleaning with the Andre pencils. Thanks for the tip Gene Mean!
 
Yes Mass Independent Corps of Cadets , though Tice #MS042 ... a great button !! Rare, and in great condition, don't touch it, it was made with a crude engraved appearance, looks perfect congrats.
 
Yes Mass Independent Corps of Cadets , though Tice #MS042 ... a great button !! Rare, and in great condition, don't touch it, it was made with a crude engraved appearance, looks perfect congrats.
Thanks very much for the confirmed ID Fredneck! Do you happen to know the age-range for this button?
 
Nice finds! That is a special button for sure. That buckle looks very old and similar to one you posted recently. That is a great spot you have found. Congrats!
 
Very cool and interesting finds. Congratulations and thank you for sharing.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom