JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a few junk things in an area I've gone over countless times with my AT Pro then suddenly got a high tone squeek that repeated. I decided to dig it and it kept going deeper till I was about 2 feet deep. I'm like ugh must be a pipe. However I felt the edge of something so not a pipe still iron but I like the old iron relics that come up at this site so I decide to pull it up. Out pops the coolest axe head I've ever found. It looks hand forged and there is a weird seem you'll see in the pictures and it isn't perfect by any means. If it's hand forged it should date back to the earliest years of my town on to me that is so cool. Not what I was looking for but a pleasant surprise. Snapchat-59462373.jpg Snapchat-593268027.jpg Snapchat-1311666763.jpg Snapchat-64066398.jpg Snapchat-44749772.jpg Snapchat-510474525.jpg

Upvote 15

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks hand forged to me! The seam and the different piece of steel for the blade is indicative. Neat shape. A treasure!

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks hand forged to me! The seam and the different piece of steel for the blade is indicative. Neat shape. A treasure!
I've learned the Dues can pick up iron at a ridiculous depth. My AT Pro missed this in and area I've gone over a lot. I always try to get the big iron in this site as the house their dates back to the early 1800s. I've found old ax heads on this property but this one easily has to be the coolest and oldest.

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice dig! That big iron can be a chore to get out of the ground, glad that one was a keeper! The Deus XP is a stud!

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That axe has had a hard life. Handle broke then was used as a wedge till the forge weld broke. Very sweet find and at 2 feet deep? I give up after a foot or so lol.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That axe has had a hard life. Handle broke then was used as a wedge till the forge weld broke. Very sweet find and at 2 feet deep? I give up after a foot or so lol.
Where I found it was wet sand so I didn't mind the effort

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the old axes. Since this is hand forged it is probably Civil War period or earlier. I found a Revolutionary War period ax at an antique store in Kansas City once. The settlers brought their stuff west with them.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the old axes. Since this is hand forged it is probably Civil War period or earlier. I found a Revolutionary War period ax at an antique store in Kansas City once. The settlers brought their stuff west with them.
Knowing me I'm probably wrong that it's hand forged. I never get all that lucky

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread