GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I made it out tonight, around 11:30 pm to a local high school that has been open since 1950.

Schools out, the weather is nice, and it is well lit there. Lights everywhere.

I looked around, and there was grassy areas everywhere. Areas with benches where kids can sit. Trees where they can lean on and have their pockets spill some goodies. The soccer field was pitch black, but all around the massive high school was fair game. I focused my search around the highlighted areas.

simondshigh.jpg

Immediately I started getting signals like crazy... and most sounded like junk.

Pulltab, pulltab, bottle cap, pull tab. These we're fairly old, you could tell by the look of them. I thought to myself, "There has to be some coins somewhere, I just have to keep digging this junk".

I kept at it for a good hour, plenty more pulltabs, and old coke bottle caps.... small aluminum shards, I found a few of those too. Small metal triangles, dont know where they are from but they we're consistently the same shape, triangular.

Anyway... my finds we're so insignificant, I didnt even bring them into the house for a picture lol.

I believe, there could be a few old coins around there, maybe an old silver or two. I just have to get through some of this junk. There was foil everywhere too, that didnt help.

I was fairly surprised how easy it was to work in even some of the areas with little to no light.. With a small flashlight in hand, I had no troubles cutting a decent plug, and retrieving the target.

My highlight (one that wasnt cap or tab) was a door hinge. Unfortunately, no coins. I was hoping to have a little silver to show you guys. but nada yet.

All in all, it was a pleasant experience. Night hunting isn't so bad! I felt quite safe until I made my walk to the car.

10 yards away from my vehicle, a skunk had come out of the woods. He started making his way toward me, and I soon realized I better spook him off when he is at a distance. I gave of a grunt, and moved my lesche towards the coil in pinpointing mode. Squaaaak.

He took off. And so did I.

I'm not done with you yet high school....

Upvote 0
Yeah , get back over there on a Sunday afternoon and spend a few hours , I think you'll find
a silver ring or two , and a bunch of coin - perhaps a silver as well ! Argentium.

Yes Argentium...

It was opened in 1950. Canada stopped making the silvers in 67/68. Thats at least 25 years of students dropping their nickels, dimes and quarters! :icon_sunny:

sounds like it could be a sweet spot , good luck :icon_thumleft:

That's a great spot and you'll do good there, just go slow.
Have a good time!
Mike

I like spots like that. It means they haven't been hunted hard yet. It also means the chance of diggin a gold item is really good. Good luck on the next trip over there. There has to be something shiny waitin for ya.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

Dixiedigger said:
Hope you get back and find some coins. Get you a light that clips on a hat, it makes seeing a lot easier.

Good idea Dixie!

While I had the flashlight in my mouth, I thought to myself there must be an easier way. I pictured one of those mining hats. A light clip would do just fine though... :icon_sunny:

Thanks guys. This will be my project for my next few outings. I'll try the other side of the bulding next time, and hit that soccer field! C'mon class ring!

I used to play on that field when I was a kid, for years. I always remembered it as a tough spot to play on. Many rocks :P

Look for an outside ticket booth with a grassy area near an athletic field. Those spots are gold mines around high schools. People fumbling in the dark for ticket money makes it a sure bet. End zones or anywhere the more exuberant fans might gather is great too. Some of my best finds have been in those areas. Monty

Forget that school... and find where these guys were! ;D I have friends up river from you and they have cleaned up.

Attachments

• 20 JDKellyUELsStJohn1783.jpg
    20 JDKellyUELsStJohn1783.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 542
Thats a great painting Iron Patch!

I've been racking my brain for 20 minutes trying to find the spot lol... I'll figure it out.

On a lighter note.... *I asked for permission, to hunt a church that has been around here since well before the Great Fire of 1877.... built in 1824.

I received a reply and they referred me to someone who takes care of the grounds. I am awaiting his reply. It would be sweet to gain access to that in the off hours... surely there's some goodies there!

GioTheGreek said:
Thats a great painting Iron Patch!

I've been racking my brain for 20 minutes trying to find the spot lol... I'll figure it out.

On a lighter note.... *I asked for permission, to hunt a church that has been around here since well before the Great Fire of 1877.... built in 1824.

I received a reply and they referred me to someone who takes care of the grounds. I am awaiting his reply. It would be sweet to gain access to that in the off hours... surely there's some goodies there!

Looks like there is some small islands in the water. Chances are it's right downtown and probably no place to swing, but there would have been settlements like that all along the river... you might have to drive a bit out of town to get of old ground like that and be a place you can swing. That river is #1 for best metal detecting in Canada.

Wow, I didnt realise it was rated that highly IP. I went to Oak Point where an old trading post used to be, along the river.... I asked the old gents who we're landscaping, but the Kiwanis guys told me no detecting allowed. :(

It's too bad, cause I read a newspaper clipping about Spanish doubloons near the old spot of the trading post.
-----------
Also, my cousins mother in law has an old home along the river.... I've been on him to convince her to let us out there on the 50 + acres. He even knows where an old homestead lies. When he told me that I was just shaking my head... "What are you waiting for!? Ask her!!" :hello2:

You can tell he's the kind of guy who can catch the detecting bug... and I'm gonna make him sick with it.

Skelly607 said:
Night hunting in this heat,,,,,maybe something to look into.

Grab a friend and go! Some bear mace... and you're safe hehe...

Then again, you guys in the states can carry guns if im not mistaken. You have nothing to worry about :)

GioTheGreek said:
Wow, I didnt realise it was rated that highly IP. I went to Oak Point where an old trading post used to be, along the river.... I asked the old gents who we're landscaping, but the Kiwanis guys told me no detecting allowed. :(

It's too bad, cause I read a newspaper clipping about Spanish doubloons near the old spot of the trading post.
-----------
Also, my cousins mother in law has an old home along the river.... I've been on him to convince her to let us out there on the 50 + acres. He even knows where an old homestead lies. When he told me that I was just shaking my head... "What are you waiting for!? Ask her!!" :hello2:

You can tell he's the kind of guy who can catch the detecting bug... and I'm gonna make him sick with it.

Once you hit one of those early sites you'll never look at a school yard again.

I'll bet the picture above is looking out at these islands. The first settlers there liked to build very close to the water, so anywhere you can swing a detector on a bank close to the water, you never know what you could find. The sites I hunted up river with my friend you could basically do a long jump from the site of the house and be in the river. It is incredible what turns up at these early spots, and you'll see if you ever come across some.

Attachments

• sj_aerial.jpg
    sj_aerial.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 362
Those islands private or public Gio?

I have found the same at a school playground.. they are scattered all over (little metal triangles) what the heck are they :icon_scratch:...makes it almost impossible to Md. Maybe done on purpose to deter MDing?? They actually look like lead triangles and on the bottom of the triangles there are is an imprint of a circle....weird

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back