What's new

My first old coin!

Dirt_Hunter

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2016
Messages
77
Reaction score
83
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, today I was metal detecting at a fairly new park in an old area. I didn't have much luck until I got a consistent silver signal at 4 inches. After a while of digging my pinpointer started buzzing. It's a silver 1943 nickel. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474421867.881834.webp
 

Attachments

  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474421867.881834.webp
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474421867.881834.webp
    47.6 KB · Views: 261
Upvote 72
Sorry for the bad grammar. I was using the mobile app to post this.
Cheers!
 
Sorry for the bad grammar. I was using the mobile app to post this.
Cheers!

No forgiveness here. Bad grammar will get your T-net membership cancelled. Nice OD nickel!
 
You did good, many more to come but this one will always be special to you.nice job:icon_thumright:
 
Congrats on digging your 1st OD Nickel. :occasion14: Those clean up nicely and are always great to see in the hole.
 
Thanks! I will try to clean it with a toothbrush later.
 
Congratulations on your 35% silver Nickel. It is called a war nickel because during World War II, certain metals were in high demand but in short supply. The nickel content of our 5 cent pieces was reduced by 35% and replaced with silver. The 1943 penny was another coin affected by WWII. It was made of steel with a zinc coating.
Put that coin in a coin folder. Put the date of find as well as the location on the folder. Congrats on a cool recovery.
 
I read about that. Also, that's a good idea to document it.
Cheers!
 
Good for you. My first silver was a war Nick also.
 
Nice old nickel recovery, keep at it; silver and gold is in your future! :occasion14:
 
Congrats on the war nickle! It was a special feeling, wasn't it? It never gets old!
 
Congrats! Welcome to the addiction..
 
Congrats on the war nickel. I think that was the first silver coin I had dug. It was a fun find and one of the things that kept me fired up about this hobby.
 
At hats awesome!! Love reading posts like this. Beautiful coin, and great save! Ps be careful, this hobby can be highly addictive lol. Keep up the great digs, and keep the posts coming. Cheers
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom