My first purse spill!!

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
Met up with Jeff of PA and DJM of PA at 10:00 this morning to hit a church grove that Jeff hasn't hunted since the 1980's. To say the day started slow and disappointing is an understatement, after about 1½ hours I had two clad dimes in my bag.......not what you expect from a grove that dates back to the late 1800's.

I left the open area an headed to the woods behind the grove to see if something was hiding in the leaves.......what a great decision that turned out to be. After about 15 minutes I finally hit a coin type signal on my Etrac...a solid 11-37 from both directions, when the depth gauge showed only about 2 inches I was thinking memorial all the way.......until I dug and saw the large wreath and the words "one cent".....YES!! That first coin turned out to be an 1880 Indian Head, about 2 feet away from it I found the top of an old change purse at about the same depth and my hopes were flying high. Using only my Propointer I continued finding coins until the total hit 8.....WOW....I had never found more than 2 Indians in one hunt before this. With every buzz of the pinpointer I kept saying "C'mon....have a nickel in your purse".....LOL!! But it was not to be.....but I'm very happy with the results.

Here's the tribe, 1876, 1880, 1889, 1892, 1899, 2-1900 and a 1901. The 1876 is my oldest Indian to date and the 1900 and 1901 are the best condition Indians I have ever dug.

Mabel 1.JPG

The two beauties:

Mabel 2.JPG

Mabel 3.JPG

And my oldest yet:

Mabel 4.JPG

And yes, I cleaned them up a bit....I don't ever plan on giving them up so I used the old toothpaste rub.

Thanks for looking!

HH

Dave

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the comments folks!! Yes, it was a thrill to have them come out of the ground one after another like that!!

G4E....I was using TTF at this site because I was hitting a good bit of deep iron and getting the "false" highs, thank you again for all your teaching on the benefits of TTF.

I just checked the 2010 Redbook, looks like that 1876 is a kinda key date, mintage was under 8 million and the value at G-4 is $35.00. I think this is my highest value one cent coin to date.

HH

Dave

W :o W!! They're sooo pretty, congrats on your 1st purse spill. I wanna bet that Jeff was turning green with envy. :laughing7:

River Rat said:
W :o W!! They're sooo pretty, congrats on your 1st purse spill. I wanna bet that Jeff was turning green with envy. :laughing7:

as Dark Green as those Indians were
when He pulled them Out :laughing7:

Oh well, at least He found them & Not somone
I Never heard about.
It's nice to know what comes out of My sites,
even If it's not me finding them :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back