My first real heartbreaker

cloudboy

Feb 1, 2018
Western KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is so weird. I usually find debitage and flakes (have found 2 small broken points) at the bottom of a hill along a stream. This was at the top of the hill where I was just working on planting some grape vines. I happened to dig this up with my shovel! Can't even calculate the chances; unless maybe the field is full of these. I checked and didn't find the rest of this.

What is it? Arrowhead, spear tip, etc? Seems pretty large for killing deer.

The serrations are so vicious, you can easily cut your finger running it along the sides!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 3.png
    3.png
    199.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 115
Upvote 14

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You’re in WKY! You have the possibility to find arrowheads anywhere there is dirt. WKY is loaded up with great flint sources. Dark bluish grey flint is most common but there are many others. Your broken point looks like a Pine Tree like this one. You need to do some digging and screening on top that hill.😎
532B6B12-1363-48E5-9294-F4B8BF3A3B6F.jpeg

OP
OP
C

cloudboy

Feb 1, 2018
Western KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You’re in WKY! You have the possibility to find arrowheads anywhere there is dirt. WKY is loaded up with great flint sources. Dark bluish grey flint is most common but there are many others. Your broken point looks like a Pine Tree like this one. You need to do some digging and screening on top that hill.😎 View attachment 2087590
Thanks! I might plow a little in this field soon to look for some more.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Any idea how these were hafted to the arrow shaft? The center base is pretty small. Perhaps some kind of sticky resin?
I found a stage 1 and a broken stage 2 this year. They were used as knifes. Probably hafted on a handle. Lost the picture of the stage 1. Found both on the same gravel bar this year. I’d love to find a whole one.

Attachments

• IMG_0748.jpeg
    IMG_0748.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 13

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread