What's new

My first Sickle...

JW15

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2011
Messages
1,179
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Hey everybody,

Nothing great today, pulled my first sickle from a colonial site and a spoon. I've pulled 6 coppers from this site over time but no old silver which I have a hunch is there somewhere. Anyways, thanks for looking and HH!
 

Attachments

  • IMG00150-20110927-1711.webp
    IMG00150-20110927-1711.webp
    41.8 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG00153-20110927-1716.webp
    IMG00153-20110927-1716.webp
    52.5 KB · Views: 347
Upvote 4
Cool... never saw one of them dug up.
The Grim Reaper is stuck with a weed whacker until he gets this back. :laughing9:
 
Hi JW. I recently dug up a sickle myself and I find the tang and blade combination a little curious. The tip of the rod handle is turned up at the tip - I'm sure to secure it in place at the end of a scythe or the grip. Could you post a closer pic of the tang end? Also is is flattish or round on that part?
I took the rust off of mine with a vinegar soak and it's kind of interesting.
 
That sickle is awesome! I dug one at a colonial site this past June and after doing electrolysis on it, it was sharp enough to cut again... even had serrations in the blade still. If you want to compare them, you can check it out here: Sickle after electrolysis!

Nice job and great iron find! :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom