My First Silver In 05 Plus...

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
My First Silver In '05 Plus...

Stopped at a park after work today that I have hunted at many times before and found these items. Despite being over 100 years old this is only the second silver coin I have found there, the first being a mercury dime. Upon arrival I noticed that they had cleared the underbrush in a wooded section and decided to head over there to see what I could find. Swinging my detector along the way I was about halfway there when I looked over and saw the pocket watch laying on the surface. I bent down, picked it up and slid it into my pocket and proceeded toward the trees. I found the key and the Franklin half dollar in that area. Finding the watch was great but silver just gives me a thrill (the older and/or bigger the better). Just wanted to share with everyone. HH.

Attachments

• PocketWatchAndFinds.jpg
    PocketWatchAndFinds.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 244
  • PocketWatchOpen.jpg
    PocketWatchOpen.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 245
  • 1949FranklinHalfObverse0002.JPG
    1949FranklinHalfObverse0002.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 266
  • 1949FranklinHalfReverse0001.JPG
    1949FranklinHalfReverse0001.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 264
  • OldKey0001.JPG
    OldKey0001.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 269
  • OldKey0002.JPG
    OldKey0002.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 0
D

Darod

Re: My First Silver In '05 Plus...

Great stuff!

Nice coin!
That key is cool too! You'll have to research that one and post what you find out about it.

The watch is awsome! Does it work properly?

What a stroke of luck walking up on that watch ;D :o

Rod

OP
OP
nedigger

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE

Nick: This is my first Franklin half although I have found two walking liberty halves (both last year and within a couple of months of each other.

TOWcritter: The detector doubles as a crutch for my feeble old body. LOL

Darod: The watch was still ticking although it had Mondays date.

HH to all.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon

Check the watch. Maybe it said " Time to find SIlver" . Nice finds & pix. All my silver coins have been limited to dimes & quarters. Nice Franklin! Spotz

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Now see, you've already got a story. Ben Franklin looked at his watch and said "It's time to fly a kite, all I have to do is attach the key to it". LOL Now you just have to search the trees for the kite. HH

AU79

Apr 24, 2004

Nice find, looks like it?s a (D) mint. There were 4,120,600 minted in Denver in 1949, only the second year they were minted there, that year they were also minted in Philly and San Fran. composition is 90% silver, 10% copper, it contains .36169 of an ounce of silver or slightly more than one third of an ounce of silver, .36169 x $7.39 per ounce of silver gives it a silver melt value of $ 2.67, of course if it was UNC (un circulated)it would be worth much more. Still a nice find, hope im doing as good as you when i get further down the road.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

COOL FINDS. "over a Hundred years old" ? :D What Year Do you think we're living in ? ;D SORRY, Had to ask :D jeff

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK, My BAD. I get it. The PARKS over a Hunderd years old. Think I'll have another Cup-O-COFFEE ;D

Shutterbug

Nov 6, 2004

That's a beautiful watch .... Is it gold?? I'm still looking for my first Franklin half. I would say you had a pretty good day hunting.

OP
OP
nedigger

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE

Jeff: After reading TOWcritter's reply I realized I should phrased my sentence differently. I only hope I can still detect when I'm 100+.

Shutterbug: The gold tone is due to bad lighting. It's actually a silver color. I did a Google search last night and seen one on PriceGrabber.com selling for $22.36. See it here http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=1439/sortby=priceA. It's the 4th one from the bottom titled Remington Hunter's Dog Chain Pocket Watch 61455.

Thanks everyone. HH.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

The eyes have it! Great hunt!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nedigger said:
Jeff: After reading TOWcritter's reply I realized I should phrased my sentence differently.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Actually , If I would have been a little more awake when I read it this morning? LOL? ? Every Morning when I wake up It takes me 2-1/2 Hours & a pot Of Coffee to get thru all the posts I miss Overnite ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread