NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy folks,

I've been puttering around VA for a couple of weeks and having some luck, mostly with civil war stuff and flat buttons, etc. Yesterday I went out to a colonial (1600s) permission on Virginia's Northern Neck and found what I believe is a colonial period house site. There's black glass, Indian artifacts, and pipe stems scattered everywhere. Aside from the usual background noise of can slaw, there was very little in the way of trash, or even 1800's/1900's finds. Anywho: I popped a few flat buttons and tombacs, then was working my way down a row and hit a nice solid 21 signal on the Nox. Dug down to see this. At first I had no clue what it was, but it looked silver. When I flipped it over and saw the cross, I knew immediately and let out a holler to my buddy! What a day. I still can't believe it. Here are a few of the other finds from the day: everything else pictured came from different areas of the field that morning or from the hunt on the day before.

I could use some help with ID. I'll also be posting this to the Cob forum, but this tends to get more traffic.
Weight is .05ozt, or 1.58g.

Thanks for looking,
-NZ49er

PS: video for this hunt should be posted in a week or two. I'll provide a link in the comments when it's up.
20220329_155449.jpg

20220329_155442.jpg

20220330_095746.jpg

20220330_095817.jpg

20220330_141908.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 40

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy folks,

I've been puttering around VA for a couple of weeks and having some luck, mostly with civil war stuff and flat buttons, etc. Yesterday I went out to a colonial (1600s) permission on Virginia's Northern Neck and found what I believe is a colonial period house site. There's black glass, Indian artifacts, and pipe stems scattered everywhere. Aside from the usual background noise of can slaw, there was very little in the way of trash, or even 1800's/1900's finds. Anywho: I popped a few flat buttons and tombacs, then was working my way down a row and hit a nice solid 21 signal on the Nox. Dug down to see this. At first I had no clue what it was, but it looked silver. When I flipped it over and saw the cross, I knew immediately and let out a holler to my buddy! What a day. I still can't believe it. Here are a few of the other finds from the day: everything else pictured came from different areas of the field that morning or from the hunt on the day before.

I could use some help with ID. I'll also be posting this to the Cob forum, but this tends to get more traffic.

Thanks for looking,
-NZ49er

PS: video for this hunt should be posted in a week or two. I'll provide a link in the comments when it's up.
View attachment 2018256

View attachment 2018255

View attachment 2018257
View attachment 2018258
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your first cut Cob and the nailed Barber, a day to be remembered for a few moons.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy folks,

Thanks for looking,
-NZ49er

View attachment 2018256

View attachment 2018255

View attachment 2018257
View attachment 2018258

View attachment 2018285
How exciting is that?! I think that would be happy dance time... congratulations 👍

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! A Cob is high on the bucket list for everyone.....
Yeap, still not had one. My Spanish has either been too old or too young....lol

Congrats to the OP.
What is the item in the bottom right corner of the last group shot picture? (kind of looks like a pommel but not...)

OP
OP
NZ49er

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, still not had one. My Spanish has either been too old or too young....lol

Congrats to the OP.
What is the item in the bottom right corner of the last group shot picture? (kind of looks like a pommel but not...)
I think its a clock weight, but I'm certainly not 100% positive on that ID. When I first dug it, I thought "sword pommel" too. But it's cross hatched and kind of looks like a pine cone. It's solid as well and really heavy.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its a clock weight, but I'm certainly not 100% positive on that ID. When I first dug it, I thought "sword pommel" too. But it's cross hatched and kind of looks like a pine cone. It's solid as well and really heavy.
Not sure about the clock weight it has a very early look to it. Maybe 17th C, not sure but needs more investigation.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy folks,

Thanks for looking,
-NZ49er

View attachment 2018256

View attachment 2018255

View attachment 2018257
View attachment 2018258

View attachment 2018285
oh my, stunning silver! wtg friend

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread