My First Standing Liberty Quarter and possible German POW heart-shaped charm!

usinadi

Mar 9, 2015
Stilwell, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350; Garrett AT Gold, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a week ago I got a permission to metal detect the CCCamp area near my grandmother's house. I had never realized that this place existed although I have been around it all my life. The CCCamp was constructed apparently in 1939 and it was used to detain about 200 German POW's from about 1943 to 1945. CCCamp is located near Stilwell, Ok in Adair County and it was one of numerous POW camps constructed in Oklahoma. I have been only able to find about 3 brief articles about CCCamp so there isn't a lot of information. I work with the community through my job in conducting a race there every year and that is how I found out about the place. There are no buildings there now just an old chimney, 6 foundations, old water tank, and a few rock paths scattered about over 13 acres. In the early Spring the Easter Lilies display all the old pathways which is very beautiful. I was metal detecting near one of the path when I found the heart shaped charm with what appears to be the name "Leonares"...not really sure of the name or if it did belong to a German POW but I thought it was really cool! I wished there was a way to find the prisoners' names that were held there at the time so I could find out who it may have belonged to. I metal detecting for about another hour or so and then I got a really high sign and out popped my First Standing Liberty Quarter! I just set there holding it and smiling! I love metal detecting because it is like opening a present every time you dig!!!

Attachments

• CCCamp Dam.jpg
    CCCamp Dam.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 90
  • CCCamp Standing Liberty 1.jpg
    CCCamp Standing Liberty 1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 87
  • CCCamp Standing Liberty 2.jpg
    CCCamp Standing Liberty 2.jpg
    996.6 KB · Views: 99
  • CCCamp.jpg
    CCCamp.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 106
  • CCCamp Heart shaoped charm 1.jpg
    CCCamp Heart shaoped charm 1.jpg
    656.5 KB · Views: 108
  • CCCamp Heart Shaped Charm 2.jpg
    CCCamp Heart Shaped Charm 2.jpg
    661.9 KB · Views: 98
  • CCCamp Standing Liberty Quarter1.jpg
    CCCamp Standing Liberty Quarter1.jpg
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 105
  • CCCamp Standing Liberty Quarter 5.jpg
    CCCamp Standing Liberty Quarter 5.jpg
    1,009.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Upvote 20

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
extremely cool, I live in the western part of Arkansas, not far from Oklahoma. The CCcamp remains are exactly like those near the community of Shady with the exceptions that it is totally grown up into one terrible thicket/saw briars/blackberries mess. There is even an aqueduct system. The large chimney was still standing the last time I saw it thirty years ago. congrats on the awesome finds

OP
OP
U

usinadi

Mar 9, 2015
Stilwell, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350; Garrett AT Gold, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both!!!! Yes this one has an aqueduct system too! I have pictures of the chimney somewhere because I was going to post it as well. I wished there was a place somewhere that they archived old photos of how each place looked in its heyday!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great place to hunt, and nice finds.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a Great first!:occasion14:
Good story and pics! Keep at that place

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Standing Lib Quarter. Thats a beauty with a nice clear date. Most of them were worn off the coin as that was the high point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread