What's new

My first try at electrolysis....

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2013
Messages
9,947
Reaction score
19,963
Golden Thread
3
Location
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I got this toasted SLQ, been sitting on it, waiting for the motivation to hit me... image.webp

All the research I need was accomplished during my pedicure this am. Don't judge me.
The first 5 minutes, results were great, so I let it roll another 5 minutes, but by then she turned black....so then I get too frisky trying to recover the shine that I was looking for...not bad. I did scratch the coin with the abrasive soap, rookie move...don't care though, looks better.
I have a hand full of other coins that I will hone my skills on, no chance of me ruining any valuable coins, cuz I ain't got any!
Oh, my 4 Silver Dollars Banner find? Not messing with those.
image.webp

Thanks for looking.:hello:...and if I get to more pieces, I will post them here...maybe.
 
I kinda fried the Walker too... But wow! She sure is shiney!
Group shot of 6 that I am gonna work on...
image.webp

And the Walker...
image.webpimage.webp
 
The War Nickel and Canadian Quarter came out nice...
image.webpimage.webp

So now I gotta read up on the coppers, as well as make a beer run, so I will be a minute...
 
Holy Cow!...look at this!...or should I say, Holy Pig!
image.webpimage.webp
 
Ok, so now I am 4 beers into this, gonna call it good...happy with the results...
Before....
image.webpimage.webp

And after...
image.webpimage.webp

Thanks for looking....:hello:
 
OMG!! THAT WALKER WAS A VERY RARE ERROR COIN WORTH MILLIONS!! ....And now it's worth diddly! :laughing7:
 
The fact that I didn't zap myself, or burn down my shed....now THAT is priceless!
 
Your experiment did turn out well!! :notworthy:
 
That walker was most likely already slightly toasted, the electrolysis removes everything, and leaves the silver. The corrosion had already eaten up that walker, you just revealed the damage by removing the corrosion.

I got this walker in January within 50 miles of the coast. The only one I have found that was eaten up, looks like it was sprayed with a sand blaster. Must have been the salt in the soil. The smaller coins came from another site... no damage on them.

You did good! Best of luck to you BWD!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20160111_192438_762-1.webp
    IMG_20160111_192438_762-1.webp
    588.6 KB · Views: 80
I am on the fence with future experiments...I think I will just stick to tokens. My other silvers look good for the most part, and the few V nicks and Buffs, I will probably end up smoking them.
 
thought this thread was gonna be about your back
 
FYI Beerguy...my wife is a nail tech, a damn good one too...so good that I have to schedule an appointment!:laughing7:
 
And the best part....Dave lives to zap another day!!!

You are braver than i. :eek:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom