What's new

My forging herbal find.

BackwoodsDiva

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2015
Messages
49
Reaction score
65
Golden Thread
0
Location
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A secret May-apple patch on a slope of the valley.

IMG_0206.webp

Mayapples (American mandrake) are said to be toxic by many. However, the fruit can be eaten once it has turned from green to yellow. It's root has medicinal uses. It can be used for warts and skin cancers. The tea from the root can be used as a liver detox. Irish folklore says fairies use the plant for umbrellas. Native American lore says it's where the little people take cover from storms.

Anyway, imagine my surprise when I came across it. I've lived here 20 years and have never seen it before. I suppose it has to do with the timing of my hikes. I will return to take a few of the roots this Fall. To bring a few to a similar setting closer to the house. The more the merrier.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0206 (2).webp
    IMG_0206 (2).webp
    775.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:
 
Always good to know what's edible and what is not! Thanks for the lesson and the pics!
 
Could be bad for anyone who's color blind.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom