My Grandpas coin collection given to me.

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Grandpa's coin collection given to me.

My grandpa recently died of cancer, which is why I was back Home in Illinois and about a year ago he tried giving me his little coin pouch full of old coins. I told him that I would eventually get them and he didn't need to give them to me then. I didn't want him giving stuff away and giving up with his fight. This just might have worked because he fought it over a year! He also was a huge patch collector and he had a lot of display cases so I looked through his Coins that he had passed to me and displayed some of his better ones in one of the cases. Heres a list of what he had and a picture.
1829 Large Cent
1856 Seated Quarter (X2)
1853 Seated Quarter
1863 Seated Quarter
1866 Shield Nickel
1867 Shield Nickel
1856 Seated Dime
1893 Columbian Half Dollar
1903 V Nickel
1900 V Nickel
1865 Indian Head Penny
1906 IHP
1904 IHP
1909 Wheat Penny VDB (x3) No S mint though...
1936 Buff Nickel
IMG_2820.jpg

Upvote 32
Being left something from your grandfather orany ancestors is verypersonal thanks for sharing, the coins are great but the story is better! I have been left three different collections from grandparents and uncle I cherish them and will pass them on to mine I hope you do the same hh gl easrcoast

Man who needs a machine with a Special tGrandpa like that. Memories that will last Forever

That's a great little collection. I'm sorry for your loss.

A good spread of old coins there. Sorry to learn of your Grandpas passing. On that Columbian half which of the two years minting was yours?

A good spread of old coins there. Sorry to learn of your Grandpas passing. On that Columbian half which of the two years minting was yours?

Soory to hear about your Grandpa. Sounds like he gave you a memory of him. Really nice

Wonderful collection and you will know he held them in his hands and now you do also. Cherish all them memories.

What a great way (one of many) to keep his memory!

that's a good grandpa there
how did he come to have them? Detector or just happened on them?

Stef45, Sorry for your loss. It is a very nice thing to have something from your grandpa that you can remember him by and eventually pass down. You mentioned he was a patch collector. Civilian, police, military, fire? Don't underestimate the value of that collection, there are thousands of patch collectors across the world. I used to collect LEO patches for years myself. Happy hunting! Sub 8-)

Sorry about your grandpa. If you are going to sell your coins, do not sell them to a coin dealer but through a coin auctions.

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. Stories like your makes wish your coins could talk.

Nice collection, I'd have to get a few pics of grandpa and make a nice display with them and the coins. This will add provenance to the collection when it gets passed on to the next generation.

Loco, I knew you were a softie

Loco, I knew you were a softie

A fellow member here on Tnet sent me a CW bullet that may have been dropped by a soldier from Ohio, I made a neat little display with it.

20160130_220613.jpg

You sure look a lot like Alfred E Newman :tongue3:

that's a good grandpa there
how did he come to have them? Detector or just happened on them?

Im actually not sure. He wasn't a detectorist though

Stef45, Sorry for your loss. It is a very nice thing to have something from your grandpa that you can remember him by and eventually pass down. You mentioned he was a patch collector. Civilian, police, military, fire? Don't underestimate the value of that collection, there are thousands of patch collectors across the world. I used to collect LEO patches for years myself. Happy hunting! Sub 8-)
He collected military. He had a huge 30 year old collection he sold a few years back as a collection for around 40k i think. Then i joined the military and started back up again. He also has a huge medal and ribbon collection as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back