My Half Dozen Early New England Shoe Buckles

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the ten months since I started metal detecting I have found these six shoe buckles. Always excited to find them. Someday I hope to score one made of silver.

tres99.jpg

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! I was never much of a buckle guy until I found a complete buckle. Then I became super interested in them. Funny how it works like that sometimes. You have some nice one's here! I've got two completes and two matching frames from the same site. I'm still looking for a knee buckle, a silver buckle and what I want to find the most is a spectacle buckle! Good luck on this silver!

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like finding them because they mean I'm probably close to a home site. Since these are not fragments they were probably from home sites whereas pieces are usually chewed up from plowing. There is good reliable research showing the age ranges within a couple of decades so they are great signposts for dating debris fields. Have you seen any of this research with the styles and time frames? I also know of a New Englander who scours yard sales and occasionally finds great vintage non-dug buckles for mere dollars.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the awesome relics! :occasion14:

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some really beautiful shoe buckles!! Is there any way you could post a close up of the one on the bottom left? My buddy and I have found numerous fragments and one whole frame with a similar design. All of them in a localized area of Vermont, we are thinking a local maker.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like finding them because they mean I'm probably close to a home site. Since these are not fragments they were probably from home sites whereas pieces are usually chewed up from plowing. There is good reliable research showing the age ranges within a couple of decades so they are great signposts for dating debris fields. Have you seen any of this research with the styles and time frames? I also know of a New Englander who scours yard sales and occasionally finds great vintage non-dug buckles for mere dollars.

I've looked at that historic buckle book that is out there and that handy chart that can easily be looked up online. That's how I try to date mine. That would be pretty cool to find one at a yardsale. What would also be neat is to find one still attached to the shoe or boot it belonged on. I'm sure there are some in waterlogged environments that are still there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread