My heart was pounding...

joya_dorado

Feb 13, 2005
San Marcos, TX
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
It was the first day I had taken my new MXT out a couple months ago and it was HOT and humid. My 12 year old son was with me and we were pecking around an old stagecoach stop from the late 1800's. All that was left was some broken down rock walls and an old rock barbeque pit. About 30 feet from the old structure the detector went nuts. A big metal target about 3 feet long and it DID NOT register as iron. HMMM says I... thats worth diggin. My boy and I began to scrape away the dirt and soon hot a layer of fine sand which was obviously not native soil. So the thing was purposely buried! My pulse quickened a bit. At about a foot deep we hit a layer of rocks nicely fitted together. 100 beats a minute now. Removing the jigsaw puzzle of rocks we encountered another 6 inches of sand and then CLINK... my pick hit something metalic and it sounded HOLLOW. 120 beats per minute now and we were grinnin like 2 twelve year old kids digging treasure (my son has a good excuse but I'm 50). Furiously, with the sweat pouring off us we shoveled away the sand and we were looking at the top of a metal something or other that was definitely hollow. I told my son to stand back and I swung the pick point down hard and punctured the metal plate. It was hthen I realized, and said to my son... "Maybe this is a metal... COFFIN!" We both sort of leaned away from our work for a minute. "Get a long stick" I said. "If it's a coffin the stick will hit SOMETHING within a few inches... :-X" I pushed the stick in 6 inches, a foot, 18 inches and then let go. It dropped out of sight. Then a little splash. Yep... this was an old-time, Made-in-America, galvanized iron SEPTIC TANK. :D Heart rate now 68 beats a minute. We drove home happy with the grand adventure and another memory we will always share ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread