Has anyone ever gone back to their childhood home and detected?

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
I sure did, and drove away from the now parking lot where I spent most of my childhood!

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Yes tried too,but it did not look or was the same, more people more... and more everything.But it was Alaska, just did'nt have time to do everything. My metal detector went to seattle and I had to pan.... it sucked!!!!!

tmpubs

Greenie
May 21, 2006
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's V/sat
I did. My Mom still lives there. Had to mow the lawn and take out the trash before I got permission
to detect... :o and I'm almost 50! Ha Ha. I found mostly nails and garbage, but one outstanding find...
a standing lady ! Guess where it is at present? Right-o. Mom's curio shelf. Go figure. Guess I should have
also asked if I could keep what I found.

Cheers

-Scotty

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Funny reading this thread,because my childhood home just burned down 2 weeks ago and I was just contemplating heading there today.It was a 3 family balloon construction type building and was there long before I had ever been thought of,and has a huge acre or so of lawn,I just may go there and see what i can find.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Of course, but it's easy for me; Mom still lives there. I found coins from my dad's youth; he grew up there too and it was the sports stadium for a whole town. It was built in 1941, so I found a Merc, some Washingtons and Roseys and some wheats, with a lot of clad (my era). I also found the remains of a toy truck I had as a kid; Dad must have hit it with the tractor cutting grass. The remains are too ugly to post, but I found a replacement on EBay.

Attachments

• cooper-jarrett.jpg
    cooper-jarrett.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 278
  • cooper-jarrett.jpg
    cooper-jarrett.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 280

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
It would be cool to find something you've lost along time ago!!!!!!

rcawdor57

Jul 17, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Tesoro Cortes, Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Explorer SE
:o I thought about that too but it is in a state about 700 miles away and my family no longer owns the house. Besides that the house was built by my father and I know (or highly doubt) there is most likely nothing of value in the yard or fields around the house because we didn't have any money. LOL. Seriously though, I do remember a HUGE pile of left over lumber with a ton of nails burning in what is now the front yard when the construction was finished. But on the same property my Dad owned there were two other houses built around 1900 that would be excellent to detect in but once again the property is owned by another family now and my parents have been gone for quite a while.
RC

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
OH, I would love to detect my childhood home...we had a huge yard (well, it looked huge when I was a kid!)

We use to play under the house alot. There was a small door that Dad had put up over this small opening...we would take it down and crawl under there and play with my brother's matchbox/hot wheels cars. It was so cool there...it was great to get out of the sun and the sand under there was like beach sand...so cool.

I bet I could find alot of my brothers cars!! And I'm sure we dropped some coinage there too! I know we moved into that house in 1964....but I don't know when the house was built....I would probably say the early 60's, maybe the late 50's. I say that, cause all the trees were just little and when I went back to visit in 1995, those trees where huge!!!!!!!!

But we don't own the house anymore...so it's just a dream now to detect there.

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I still live in my childhood home which my grandfather built in 1917. I have detected my yard, but since my dads hobby was working with metal, the yard is full of scrap pieces of metal and shavings that he dumped from lathes and milling machines. I did detect my boyhood friends yard two houses away and found some metal planes and cars which may have been ones that we lost in or near his sandbox years ago.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Since I started detecting 5 months ago I have had it in my mind that I wanted to go to my childhood home. It is not far from where I live but owned by another family. I think I will eventually go and ask permission to hunt at least the backyard. It would be a blast to find something that was yours as a child. Our home was built in the '30s I think and we lived there from '56 to'70.

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I grew up in a house that had a softball field right behind us. We had many a family reunions/softball games in that yard and on that field. I've considered it many times.

The field is private property though, and owned by Boys Town. I seriously doubt that anyone there would give me the permission to hunt it.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
No, but boy would I love to go back. As a military brat, lets see, I have boyhood homes in Texas, Labrador, New Jersey, Turkey and Maine. Of course, Turkey would be my first choice to go back and detect.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an uncle, he passed away some years ago, attempted to go to his old house on a farm where he was sure his grandfather buried a chest of silver dollars.
The new owner, not so politely, told him to get lost.
Think the new owner maybe found something and figured there was more.
But anyhow...my childhood home is gone, but not the park.
Detected it years ago and found silver...now that I'm back to detecting, went back and found clad..but its early.

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My childhood home was built in 1903 in Queens Village, NY. I remember as a kid helping my grandmother in the garden and pulling up broken pieces of china, marbles, and once even a fireplace poker. My grandfather tore down the old wrap around porch to put in a patio and dug up a metal box with a gun wrapped in a burlap sack. The house was sold a few years ago, and I really wish that I could get back there with my md!

Jim West Pa

Aug 14, 2007
Mamont Pa.
Detector(s) used
DFX
Bein in my 50's i would love too but my younger sister ,that lives there, says NO WAY!!! go figger. I have however gone back to my old neighborhood and swung a few places i remeber as a child.I recall two o' my freinds stealin a coffee can full o' coins and buryin them in the woods, silver then,but no luck findin it ..yet.
I also remeber an old collapsed farmhouse, in fact, all that was left was a pile o' slate from the roof. As kids, we called it the "slate pile" and caught many o' milk and ring neck snakes there. There was also a stone spring house there we played in. I went back there and found absolutely no trace of either.Will go agin tho.
Here's a real neat childhood story. When i was 8 or 9 I had a paper route, remember them? Anywho it was a morning paper route, yes, there was a paper two times a day back then.I would allways carry my pellet gun and shoot rabbits out o' neighbors gardens and cook 'em up. oops, gittin off subject....anywho, before the route was mine, my best buddy had it and when we would go out on thursday nights and collect, we had to walk past a small patch o' woods. Everytime we walked by there he would toss a quarter into the woods, they were all silver then.
I went back to that area and the folks in that hood now ...well...think they own everything and it jist wasn't worth the hassle to try and git in there to swing a coil.
MMmmm, thinkin back now, there were a few old "depressions" in the woods we hunted snakes in that i bet were once old colonial home sites.
Wow, great subject line. Really got me thinkin back....i'm off to my childhood stompin grounds this weekend. Thanx for the idea.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
How a bout your old school... went by there, it was all chained up.

R

robert roy

I would LOVE to go back to my childhood home. Unfortunately it is now the Santa Monica Freeway!!! I used to live on Durango ave and Robinson Blve. That was 45 years ago. Its all gone now.

RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread