globofgreen

Greenie
Jul 23, 2023
Oregon, near Portland
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I might not find silver quarters, or dimes, or Indian pennies, but I am thankful for the treasures I have found. My town seems to have shotgun headstamps from 1901 - 1915 strewn through out the public parks and creeks most likely from quail hunting back in the day. I have found 8 rings to date, only 2 are marked 925, though I suspect one to be silver that isn't marked. I found one wheat penny from 1937 that is horribly eroded. I collect all my pull tabs, and eventually when I have collected a comical amount I'm going to melt it down into an ingot of aluminum as a trophy of how many holes I've dug. Detect daily:metaldetector:, and happy hunting.
IMG_5818.jpg
IMG_5810.jpg
IMG_5812.jpg

Upvote 16

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work, I would have thought you would have had more pocket change for a years worth of hunting.. What kind of places do you go to ? If your town goes back enough years ... you might try the grassy areas between the sidewalk and road, I'm told that it belongs to the city and is public property, and around parking meters in the same area.. a lot of those grassy areas have been around since the streets were paved and MIGHT give you a silver or two.. and definitely more pocket change...

OP
OP
globofgreen

globofgreen

Greenie
Jul 23, 2023
Oregon, near Portland
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice work, I would have thought you would have had more pocket change for a years worth of hunting.. What kind of places do you go to ? If your town goes back enough years ... you might try the grassy areas between the sidewalk and road, I'm told that it belongs to the city and is public property, and around parking meters in the same area.. a lot of those grassy areas have been around since the streets were paved and MIGHT give you a silver or two.. and definitely more pocket change...
I actually contacted my city and they said it's a legal grey area and they would recommend not detecting any sidewalk strips. Kinda sucks because I've heard you can find silver there and I desperately want to find a silver coin. My town was founded in 1889 and has rich history, but I've never found anything even close to that old, most likely because I have no idea where to look and even if I did I probably can't get permission.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually contacted my city and they said it's a legal grey area and they would recommend not detecting any sidewalk strips. Kinda sucks because I've heard you can find silver there and I desperately want to find a silver coin. My town was founded in 1889 and has rich history, but I've never found anything even close to that old, most likely because I have no idea where to look and even if I did I probably can't get permission.
Here's some advise, the city won't say anything about it, technically if there is no law against it they can't tell you that you can't... Told to me by a police officer here in Charlotte NC... That said, homeowners might come out asking what you are doing digging in front of their houses on that strip... and I would probably leave if that happened, but not all strips are in front of houses... Go on a Sunday when business are closed and hunt then, in front of business or public areas, like schools and churches, and municipal building.. or if you have streets with a greenway in the center, hunt that, homeowners can't claim that... But I might try some places and just hunt till someone tells you not to... If you call someone then the answer might always be "no' But I've hunted plenty of public spaces and never been told off...
I do public schools ** UNLESS POSTED** but most schools are public property
Let us know if you find anything decent !

OP
OP
globofgreen

globofgreen

Greenie
Jul 23, 2023
Oregon, near Portland
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's some advise, the city won't say anything about it, technically if there is no law against it they can't tell you that you can't... Told to me by a police officer here in Charlotte NC... That said, homeowners might come out asking what you are doing digging in front of their houses on that strip... and I would probably leave if that happened, but not all strips are in front of houses... Go on a Sunday when business are closed and hunt then, in front of business or public areas, like schools and churches, and municipal building.. or if you have streets with a greenway in the center, hunt that, homeowners can't claim that... But I might try some places and just hunt till someone tells you not to... If you call someone then the answer might always be "no' But I've hunted plenty of public spaces and never been told off...
I do public schools ** UNLESS POSTED** but most schools are public property
Let us know if you find anything decent !
Yea I follow the same philosophy, if it's public I detect it and so far no one has said anything negative. I just emailed a historic distillery in my town from the 1800s that might just be cool enough to let me detect. Wish me luck on my first actual historic area hunt.

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice array of finds ! You have come to the right place. There are many knowledgeable people here on T-Net that can help you identifying some of the finds you aren't too sure about.
The goldish looking ring with the stones is eye-catching. You say some of your rings are not marked. Keep in mind that many older rings before 1906 were not marked & could very well be gold, & also, gold that isn't 24K could have varying degrees of tarnish over time or if in salt water. It's the alloys used in 10k, 14k & 18k jewelry that allows for some tarnishing or dulling over time.
Your ring pictured below looks like it could old gold. The stones have some sparkle to them in the photo. I would have that one checked further by some expert if I were you, unless of course you are very sure it's costume jewelry. From your picture, it's a great looking ring nonetheless. Congrats & welcome to TreasureNet.

Attachments

• Ring with Stones.png
    Ring with Stones.png
    317.9 KB · Views: 10

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread