My introduction to the Equinox 800 -- Gold!!!

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Deus was stolen out of my car a few days ago. It was parked in underground parking at my apartment complex. They had just installed a state of the art camera system 2 weeks ago. Get this....you can see the criminals clear as day going through my jeep and stealing the Deus, fishing rod, fishing bag, etc.

One of the tenants here let their friend in, and the friend was the one who stole everything. The landlord ID'd the tenant, but dont know who the friend is, so they cant do anything about it, since the tenant only watched his friend steal, which isnt enough of a crime for arrest (confirmed by the deputy who i spoke with). Heres the kicker, the tenant has been caught letting people in to steal before! And the apartment manager wont kick him out! Unreal.

Since i cant go mutiple days without a metal detector, i went to our local detecting store and bought a new Equinox 800. Ive been on the fence about buying one anyway for it's water capabilities.

I went out for the first time with it today to a field ive been to over 100 times (albeit on the opposite side where i havent really detected at all), and in the "Park 2" setting, i pulled these finds...

Screenshot_20210804-192657_Gallery.jpg

What confused me, was that it rang up solid 29 on the VDI, which i remembered reading is out of the gold zone. However, i remembered back in my AT Pro days reading about how high karat gold can give higher than normal numbers.

I cleaned it a bit and couldnt see a stamp, and i havent found many gold rings before, just 2 previously. But i knew it had to be solid gold because it was really heavy, and there were zero signs of plating, which would be visible, especially with the ring all bent up and its age (based on other finds from the field...late 1800s farmstead). And the color was just too vibrant, like a dark "glow".

So i got back and cleaned and noticed a stamp, but too small to read. I got out the camera.

Screenshot_20210804-192738_Gallery.jpg

Does that say .9999?! Or is that something else?

Thanks for checking out my day!

Attachments

• 20210804_191434.jpg
    20210804_191434.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Upvote 22

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can't you just shoot the guy?

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like pure gold to me! That's what it's all about!

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with you & "UnderMiner". It looks like pure gold to me also, especially the way it's so deformed. Pure gold would be very malleable like that & heavy like you say. Congrats on a great find with your new 800 !!

As far as the tenant goes.......... Have this guy pay him a visit to tell him how " displeased " all the other tenants are with him.
Luca Brasi.png

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Score!!! Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

mrtim

Jan 7, 2008
Nancy, KY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Spectra V3i HP, Whites MX Sport, Fisher F2, Bounty Hunter Quicksilver, Nokta/Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So sorry you were robbed but glad you got yourself a new detector and breaking it in right with that gold. One nice thing about living in the middle of nowhere, plenty of places to metal detect where a 6 foot patch of freshly dug soil would never be noticed.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds first time out with the Nox. Sorry about your loss. Best start taking the good stuff inside with you from now on.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
people like that is why I can't live in population....I would be in jail rather quickly. maybe there is a route to hold the landlord/manager responsible for not taking action for a known issue subjecting the tenants to property loss and danger?

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear about your Deus but congrats on the Gold !

Good hunting with your new NOX !

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Capone, nicely done. That seems to be the real deal.
Speaking to an attorney might be in order...not to hit the "Sue you" lottery, but to address your options for the present theft, and any future loss. I suspect that you might not be the only victim, and if management is unwilling to address the situation because of politics or perception, legal action is certainly an option.

I would consider having an attorney write or speak to your landlord and explain (not familiar with MN law, but Texas law allows this) that there can be a civil action brought against both the tenant and the company that manages the property for knowingly "abetting" the commission of a crime.

In the meantime, keep hunting your new toy, and realize it wasn't chance or luck alone that rewarded your efforts.

OP
OP
C

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Capone, nicely done. That seems to be the real deal.
Speaking to an attorney might be in order...not to hit the "Sue you" lottery, but to address your options for the present theft, and any future loss. I suspect that you might not be the only victim, and if management is unwilling to address the situation because of politics or perception, legal action is certainly an option.

I would consider having an attorney write or speak to your landlord and explain (not familiar with MN law, but Texas law allows this) that there can be a civil action brought against both the tenant and the company that manages the property for knowingly "abetting" the commission of a crime.

In the meantime, keep hunting your new toy, and realize it wasn't chance or luck alone that rewarded your efforts.

I appreciate your advice and your kind words. I work hard at this hobby! Like all of us.

Im going to look into at least an opening discussion with a lawyer to see where that leads.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your nice recovery..glad to see that you dialed in your new detector.
Hoping to hear that you will get everything that was taken returned to you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread