My "keepers" for this month

W

whites6000inPa

My "keepers" for this month

I've been detecting the yards of privately owned homes in our little town since the beginning of this month, having started into this hobby again in Mid July...after a long hiatus (1993). I go in the evenings after supper for a couple hours...and usually one day per weeked.

I decided at the beginning of this month that the pickins were gettin slim...and that I needed to cast my fears and trepidations aside and ask for permission to hunt yards since the usual places were only giving up modern clad finds if anything. The following picture is the result of my efforts this month. I've found these in about 8 different yards. I've been denied permission exactly once, because the lady's grandson has a machine and she prefers to let him dig anything that's there....fair enough. I've not been turned down once otherwise. Not pictured are 2 V nickels in terrible shape....and about 5 rolls of wheat pennies.

The parks are just about cleaned out.....I now prefer to hunt private residences. I don't want to have to work too hard for what I find.

Wyatt

Attachments

• DUGCOINS.JPG
    DUGCOINS.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 475
Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My "keepers" for this month

awsome

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Really great collection you have Wyatt!

Congrats!

Nana ;)

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on....and I'm doing it with one of those "old" machines that aren't any good anymore. Ha Ha.....I have an Eagle too....and I want to sell it. I am not a digital generation kind of guy.

Wyatt

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Great silver pieces! I need to get up the courage to ask permission here too. I've made more than a few posts here about being reluctant about asking. All of these houses were built in the 1800's and early 1900's. I really don't know what's stopping me.

Keep us posted on your goodies!

Moon

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

Just be confident, look them in the eye, and be courteous. Unless they're competing in some gardening magazine's "Lawn of the Year" contest...they usually say yes. Older folks are even more apt to say yes, and if you visit with them some....you'll get leads you wouldn't otherwise know about. The older generation knows that they ain't takin' nuthin' out of this world that they didn't come in with...and most of them will let you hunt. Just do it....all they can do is say no.

Wyatt

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Nice finds. I agree that it is easier to do private holmes - odds are much better for finding good stuff. I do get more satisfaction out of find good stuff at "hunted out" places. In the last few months my son and I have gotten a lot better at hunting the hunted out parks.

Do you do "cold calls" or do you know the person of the residence? I am not very good in my salesmanship so I rely on friends and friends of the family for getting access to private holmes.

Bob

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I just knock on the door, or catch them outside...introduce myself and tell them where I live...and ask them if it'd be OK if I looked for coins in their yard using my metal detector. Some folks I've known casually, perhaps seeing them at the local Mom and Pop grocery... but most I have not met prior to asking.

Wyatt

Z

ZumbroKid

Results like that with the machine you got, speaks well of your abilities!

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WOW!
Thats more silver than I found in the last two years.
Those older yards can be good.
I sort of figure the odds of getting permission for searching private property (for me) is about 90%.

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I found that the more I asked folks....the less apprehensive I was about asking. I always try to mention that I may want to detect the place a few times, and am sure to tell them that I will not detect their property when they are not at home. That seems to help some too.

Silver's where you find it....and if you're not finding it, it usually means you're just in the wrong place. The mercury dime that shows the reverse side...is a 1942 that I found last night....on top of the ground, covered by only autumn leaves. It was under a maple tree and there is no grass in that area. Had the leaves been on the tree...I'd have seen it lying there.

Wyatt

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90

Congrats on your selfconfidence. I wish I had that. I don't have a problem asking those I am know but strangers are different for me. I did drive around an old section of the town near me after an ice storm. I offered to cut the down tree limbs for permission to hunt the yard. They looked at me and thought there was a catch to it. "you mean if I let you metal detect in the yard you'll cut these tree limbs up". They thought that was the deal of the century. Those kinds of places are Silver heavens.

Very nice collection Wyatt, BTW, what kind of Eagle do you have?

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

The Eagle I have is the VERY first one...stil the old lblue and white scheme, and called the Eagle Pro. It has 4 inch, 8 inch, and 10 inch coils...and a cool carrying case.

I was out getting a prescription filled and had the same thought about cleaning up some tree limbs for the older folks. We just had a very wet and heavy 5 inch snowfall on still fully foliated trees....and there's much minor damage. I spied some places I would like to detect that have some clean up needed

BTW...if they looked at you like you were from Mars...they probably would have let you do it anyway. There's not a thing wrong with giving something in return however. It's a noble gesture...and doesn't hurt the hobby's image.

Going a little deeper into what you just said.....if you're self conscious about asking....then you must feel like a vagrant or a beggar when you detect (It's OK...I used to). You need to come to terms with that before you'll be comfortable talking to people about the hobby. Talking it up will get you places to detect.

Wyatt

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome job!! WTG!!

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great coins, and continued good fortune.

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

Yards with hard soil around homes built from 1900 - 1950s are best. Nice, evenly green grass is a bad sign that the place has probably been re-landscaped. I like to look for old, worn and tired grass of mixed variety. It will usually have some crabgrass, plantain, dandelions, clover.....weeds...but well maintained ones. These are the yards where I find silver coins. Don't ignore small yards....they can be incredibly productive, probably because everybody has said ...naaaah....too small. It taks a square inch of soil to cover a dime.

Wyatt

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other

I used to hunt alot of yards with my Eagle II sl. I found quite a bit of silver and got a few leads too. In fact my first silver came from a yard that a fellow detectorist said I would never get permission to hunt. All I did was ask. Good luck and HH! Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread