Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I did get out before our beloved lake effect snows returned and covered us up here in upstate NY.

At the old ghost town I dug a 1855 prohibition token ... I had no idea back then people were in favor of liquior laws ! I thought everyone drank themselves into oblivion ! :P

Last find is this here fob type deal. It shows a lamb at the bottom , linked chain to the left , shears to the right and that all seeing eye at the 12 o'clock position . Open hand with the heart in the palm. I do believe its Masonic but anyone having info on it please post.

Hope we all survive winter and dreaded "cabin fever !"

Good Luck to All

Derek

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 383
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 406
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 399
Upvote 0
Looks Mason to me :thumbsup:

Two nice relics Derek, never knew there was controversary either in that time frame.......

May your winter be short and if not, hope you come up with some new leads through your reasearch.

Don

Derek's back......It's about time dude. Don't let the snow and frozen ground stop a hearty detectorist like yourself. Just order a napalm drop on the detecting site. That should thaw it and remove any annoying brush that would normally impede a successful hunt. I'm sitting here debating whether to hammer and chisel my way through the permafrost. I've done it many times before. Found a good thicky Liberty cap and Draped bust largie that way before. The Liberty cap has a chisel mark to prove it. It is troublesome working on one recovery in 30 minutes though.
Chris

Don in SJ said:
Two nice relics Derek, never knew there was controversary either in that time frame.......

May your winter be short and if not, hope you come up with some new leads through your reasearch.

Don
Thanks Don ....

Here's to your 2009 :occasion14: season and many MANY more GREAT finds ! :headbang:

Derek :icon_study:

crazyjarhead said:
Thats a real cool find :thumbsup:

Thanks CJH ... I liked finding both , different from the usual finds

HH.

D.

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Derek's back......It's about time dude. Don't let the snow and frozen ground stop a hearty detectorist like yourself. Just order a napalm drop on the detecting site. That should thaw it and remove any annoying brush that would normally impede a successful hunt. I'm sitting here debating whether to hammer and chisel my way through the permafrost. I've done it many times before. Found a good thicky Liberty cap and Draped bust largie that way before. The Liberty cap has a chisel mark to prove it. It is troublesome working on one recovery in 30 minutes though.
Chris

Hey CCZ ...

Didnt Santa guy bring ya a jackhammer for Christmas ?
Napalm would work great but I dont have access to any YF22's or even a old F-4 to drop the firey jell-o and besides I doubt the farmers would be happy about crispy critter'ing their cornfields :P

What bums me out is the GW button cornfield : no one knows who owns it , even the supposed owners. I know theres a fortune in the filled in cellar hole but alas I cant dig it out till we find the true owner and get the OK to dig and sift !

I know come 2009 spring KKC is gonna nail more coppas and wilvers !! The KKC team is the best there is !!

Hope you guys manage thru the harsh Penn. winter !!

Derek :thumbsup:

Derek, I am sure this advice has been given before, and will likely again. But in case you havent already had it, try this, as I have had luck going this route. Go to court house for the county the property is located in. Find the property you want to get name of owners on a plat map, then inquire as to who is paying the taxes on that property. The party paying the taxes is likely owner. If a recent sale has changed the owners, at least the last owners of record at courthouse, should be able to tell you current owners name. I have done this several times in past. I dont know what current privacy laws may do to finding this info. If they ask why you want to know, tell them you are inquiring as to a possible purchase. That may be easier way to get cooperation on finding a name. Good luck.

oldhippiecoinhntr said:
Derek, I am sure this advice has been given before, and will likely again. But in case you havent already had it, try this, as I have had luck going this route. Go to court house for the county the property is located in. Find the property you want to get name of owners on a plat map, then inquire as to who is paying the taxes on that property. The party paying the taxes is likely owner. If a recent sale has changed the owners, at least the last owners of record at courthouse, should be able to tell you current owners name. I have done this several times in past. I dont know what current privacy laws may do to finding this info. If they ask why you want to know, tell them you are inquiring as to a possible purchase. That may be easier way to get cooperation on finding a name. Good luck.
Hey oldhippie ...appreciate the advice ... I cheacked in the town clerks office and county clerk , both gave me the same info , They live in Mass. but when I talked to them they were dumbfounded , had no idea about any property in NY.
And neighbors around the area were little or no help.

But one farmer who has helped me extensivley and even has a colonial home on his land that no longer is standing is working on tracking down possible new owners.
One day I WILL be digging out the foundation...Its my belief the Rev war ea home caved in , then 100+ years after someone bought the land , and had to fill in the foundation & privy and they filled it in with surrounding dirt. I dug several choice Rev.war buttons , regiment and USA's plus my GW inaugural. Not to meantion handfulls of Lg cents and KG's !!

HH !

Derek

Two awesome finds, Derek! :o

Cheers! Nana

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back