My late grandmothers family heirloom broke when I moved

Jan 3, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:crybaby2::crybaby2:

I am sincerely hoping one of you nice folks can IMG-20191230-WA0020.jpeg help me.

I just moved and one of my most beloved items from my recently deceased grandmother broke to smithereens. It is milk glass and it was very beautiful with the lace edge. I have attempted to find a replacement piece but I can fond none like it. It is rectangular and it was deep enough to fit all my bracelets as you see pictured. Any ideas on terms I could search or places to search to find this treasure? Please let me know and you are very much appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best of luck to you in getting this family heirloom repaired.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a place called Thomas Restorations near Columbia Maryland who repairs this kind of thing. Expensive though. He also sells kits so you can do it yourself.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it could be fixed up pretty easily on your own. I would use epoxy but it is not as forgiving as good old elmers glue. Go slow and be patient with set up time.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have fixed as bad and worse.

Pull together "every" piece, no matter how small,.......

Get a magnifier, elmers white glue, and a small moist towelette, Q-tips, tooth pics,....
and some blue masking tape, some rubber bands, and odds and ends to "prop".
(paperback books, magazines, a lighter, small containers)

Just like a puzzle, pick where to start, and carefully try the likely pieces, using no force,
into the likely places.

Always make sure you don't, "land lock" a spot where a piece goes,... but you have to
remove a piece to put it there.

When you find where your first piece goes, moisten slightly the dry exposed surfaces
with water. Then a small amount of white glue, then put it into position.

Shift it slightly while fitting it back in place. Feel for when it finds home and has a solid feel.

Hold it for a fair bit, any excess glue that squeezed out should now be wiped off with a
slightly moist towelette or Q-tip.
(the foam tipped swabs work better, they're fiber free)

If good fortune is with you, you may be able to put a rubber band, tape, or carefully prop
the piece so that you can take a break,.....

If not, you will have to hold the piece in position for a least 5 minutes.
A warm room works better.

Many of the tiniest slivers can be placed after main pieces are in place,
but not always.

If you know someone that is good with puzzles, and isn't a klutz, ask for help.

This method will make the article a "display" piece.

You won't be able to toss it around in a game of think fast.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, determine the material type. I use locktite products for all kinds of broken glass, different plastics, ect. I've also used silicone glue. YouTube has great repair vids.
Hope this helps,
Jon
8-):cat::occasion14::headbang:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Toronto! :hello:

My motto, when it comes to antique restoration... "if you want the job done right, hire a professional to do it properly." Some folks are 'pretty handy' when it comes to Crazy Glue and epoxy, but a bad restoration is much more difficult to take apart and rebuild then if it's done right the first time. Not knowing where you're located, which I assume is in the States, I would ask around at some of the more reputable antique dealers in your area and find out who they would recommend/use.

I've been using the same gentleman for almost 20 years and he does a lot of work for the Royal Ontario Museum and the Gardiner Museum of Ceramics here in Toronto.

Best of luck to you on preserving your grandmothers serving dish.
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread