My massive order - FINAL results

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Well, nobody is going to like these results. especially me.

I had a few more boxes come in and they called so I went and picked them up too. Ended up with $41,500 in halves. that's 83 boxes. My goal was to order them all at ONCE, so that "maybe" the rolling entity (Brinks, or whoever it really is) would hit bottom and go to a pallet they haven't been to before. Trying anything, since the results have been so bad for so many months. And this was my last ditch attempt to see if I would ever order halves in boxes again or not.

I shall not.

My results?

I ended up with ONE silver in the entire 83 boxes. I also ended up with 7 proofs, so I added those to my collection. But one silver in 83 boxes! The machine I was told about that takes the silver coins out really does work well. the problem of being in an area with new machinery. :-( It also takes out other coins. I ended up with ZERO magicians coins. That was nice. And ZERO foreign coins. It just takes all non matching clad coins and rejects them before rolling the matches.

So it is over for me here in Phoenix. I know Happy Gilmore already gave up. Now I do too. I shall continue to do pennies, and my Ryedale has been looking at me for the past two weeks wondering why I was unwrapping all thoe halves instead of pennies. I'll go back to pennies (And nickels, and a few occassional dimes). Plus I'll ask for loose or customer rolled halves every time I go in to get pennies. But no more boxes. Last year I was 0 for 24 boxes when I did a big push, and now 1 silver for 83 boxes on my two big attempts to find them. I don't see this as time well spent here in Phoenix.

I wish the rest of the country continued success, and enjoy reading that SOMEONE is finding silver (I don't get jealous that you find it. I rejoice with your successes.) :-) But for me, no more halves in boxes. I wanted to prove a point to myself, and I did. The point is that silver goes IN to the system here but does NOT come back out. So no use working it.

That's my final results. Wish it were better. MUCh better. But it is what it is, and reality has now set in enough for me to give up on anything except loose halves in trays.

I wish better luck to all of you! :-)

JOhn

Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've said this in a few other threads but I have talked on the phone with the Operations managers for Brinks and Garda here and both of them said the same thing.

We are not allowed to take/remove coins. We transport it, count it, and wrap it back up for the banks. It is against the law for us to cull silver so don't worry it will still be out there when you are looking for it, which it certainly is, some days better than others.

In other words, the carriers do not own the money, they just take possession of it for transportation. Just like any other form of shipping essentially.

OP
OP
jrf30

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
that is there. Here, they take out any reject coins when they count them for the bank. If a bad coin comes into the facility, the bank does not get credit for it. And so the magician coins get segregated out. And the slugs. And the foreign coins. And the other things that are counted by the bank but are not real coins. And in doing so, the silver also gets taken out, not because it is silver, but because it is rejected as not uniform with the clad they use for an acceptable coin. Yes, they are shipping, but here they then give credit to the bank after they count it, and that essentially meaans they are buying that coin. And they don't buy the rejects. Weird that silver is called a reject, but that's how they are doing it out "here."

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with that line of thinking is the silver coins still have face value and are in circulation, no matter their composition metal. In essence, the couriers in your district are (unwittingly or otherwise) stealing the coins if they fail to credit the bank.

OP
OP
jrf30

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
agreed. Although I still can't get an answer with what they do with them once they are rejected. Maybe they DO credit them with face value on the ones that are american coins. Not on the magician coins or foriegns, but maybe on the bent ones and the silver ones. Maybe they do like the banks do with bad coins and paper bills, which is to basically take them out of service, give the credit for face value, and then they can turn them in to the Fed for destruction ... or hold them if they wish, since they have been taken out of circulaton as rejects. I can't get an answer on what happens after they are rejected. As everyone knows, it is hard to get information out of these people. All I have been able to find out so far is that the non complying coins get rejected and not sent back out, and the silver hits the reject tray - because it is a reject, not specifically because it is silver. Means the same thing to us. 1 silver coin in 82 boxes, and a current 72 box skunk streak in action. LOLOLOLOL (he laughs with a laugh last heard in the nearest asylum)

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrf30 I think you under estimate the amount of CRH's are in your area The other thing you have a lot of snow birds there who leave their stash at home. If they pass. the silver stays east of you. if they stash it there and die the kids take it home(LOL) Now if you did 882 box's I'd believe your theory Arz. is to young compared to the east. Try the small backs in the assisted living building's I won't tell you about that secret bonanza

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know what happens to the coins. I think the rolling compnay may get to KEEP them. Or worse! See below. Here's why I think that.

The coin counting machine at my local bank rejects a lot of coins. Foriegn coins, slugs, fakes, etc. And some flat batteries and nuts and bolts and screws too. Junk people throw in the machine. It all goes into the reject slot. At the end of a period of time, whenever they feel like enptying it, they take it, and it goes into the trash. I have SEEN them throw it in the trash WITH a silver dime in it that I TOLD them was silver. they said "We are not allowed to keep anything in the reject slot OR give it out. Sorry. We must throw it out." They threw away 12 - 15 coins that day. A few bent pennies, a bent nickel, a fake somthing, a mexican coin, the silver dime, and some other unknown things. And I've seen this more than once when they have emptied that tray while changing a bag for me while I was there. the ONLY thing they will give me is if I peek at it whiel they are changing the bag and see a half in there, I then say "Hey, I think one of my halves is missing. Did it go to the reject tray?" Then they look, give me the half that is there (Since I saw it already!) and if there are other coins there, they LEAVE them there or throw them out. I asked the manager about it when he was changing the bag for me one day. He said "We can't take any of the coins that get rejected. Once they are rejected, they are trash, even if we KNOW they are silver or halves or anything of value. It sucks, but that's our rules, and if we take a silver dime home it is not worth getting fired over." So they take that as part of the job, and throw away good money. I think when banks that take it in without a discriminating machine like my one bank has (When they take customer rolled coin) they send the coin to the central area to be rerolled and counted for the bank's credit, and there they TOO get those same "rejects". they get counted as rejects and taken off of the banks total. What happens then I do not know. I HOPE that they do NOT have to throw them away, like the bank does!!!! But I guarantee with 100% accuracy and first hand knowledge that the bank DOES throw AWAY the silver that gets put in their reject tray, and they KNOW it is silver. What the rolling area does with it now that they have a similar machine I do not know. I bet since the volume is so much more that they get to keep it, but the silver comes OFF the bank's total, and the bank gets a lower count.

Yes, the machine exists in my locak dump banks, and yes I was told the same machines, in a biger versios, were recently sinstalled by "Brinks" (Or whoever it is that does the counting and rolling) at their facility.

Might be worth savaging through their trash once a week to see! LOL.

I always get the rejects from my bank. Got a '62 rosie yesterday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread