My massive order - FINAL results

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Well, nobody is going to like these results. especially me.

I had a few more boxes come in and they called so I went and picked them up too. Ended up with $41,500 in halves. that's 83 boxes. My goal was to order them all at ONCE, so that "maybe" the rolling entity (Brinks, or whoever it really is) would hit bottom and go to a pallet they haven't been to before. Trying anything, since the results have been so bad for so many months. And this was my last ditch attempt to see if I would ever order halves in boxes again or not.

I shall not.

My results?

I ended up with ONE silver in the entire 83 boxes. I also ended up with 7 proofs, so I added those to my collection. But one silver in 83 boxes! The machine I was told about that takes the silver coins out really does work well. the problem of being in an area with new machinery. :-( It also takes out other coins. I ended up with ZERO magicians coins. That was nice. And ZERO foreign coins. It just takes all non matching clad coins and rejects them before rolling the matches.

So it is over for me here in Phoenix. I know Happy Gilmore already gave up. Now I do too. I shall continue to do pennies, and my Ryedale has been looking at me for the past two weeks wondering why I was unwrapping all thoe halves instead of pennies. I'll go back to pennies (And nickels, and a few occassional dimes). Plus I'll ask for loose or customer rolled halves every time I go in to get pennies. But no more boxes. Last year I was 0 for 24 boxes when I did a big push, and now 1 silver for 83 boxes on my two big attempts to find them. I don't see this as time well spent here in Phoenix.

I wish the rest of the country continued success, and enjoy reading that SOMEONE is finding silver (I don't get jealous that you find it. I rejoice with your successes.) :-) But for me, no more halves in boxes. I wanted to prove a point to myself, and I did. The point is that silver goes IN to the system here but does NOT come back out. So no use working it.

That's my final results. Wish it were better. MUCh better. But it is what it is, and reality has now set in enough for me to give up on anything except loose halves in trays.

I wish better luck to all of you! :-)

JOhn

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JOhn,
i'm sorry to hear about your poor success, there's no predictable way to half dollars. I know your pain(somewhat)... 30 box skunk streak last year from august to about february of this year. What comes next? a box with a 1964 half dollar, closely followed by several more skunks, I lost count.

Hopefully those pennies will do you some good, I love searching pennies, you never know what goodies they hold. Same with nickels.

I wish you best of luck with them CWR's and lower denomination boxes, let the ryedale run!
Buff

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
It was a good attempt to try to break some thing loose. Too bad you didn't even score a few teller halves when you were picking up the boxes. I usually try to add a box of dimes or nickels when I am picking up so I don't get completly skunked.

I have been seeing the same thing down here in Fl lately, no foreign money at all any more. I have a cigar box full of what I pulled from boxes but about 2 months ago everything stopped except for clean clad. Every week I tell my wife, I'm going to cut back on the halves but then I just keep hoping for the worm to turn but, I starting to think that the worm may be dead.

Good luck with the pennies, always going to find something good with them at least.

Last edited:

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Time to kill the pump when ya start sucking mud. When your going through a drought like we used to back in West Texas. wait a while , and the pond might fill up again someday. Good luck! I commend you for your efforts! :icon_salut:

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Sorry to hear about your silver drought. When boxes turn ugly, I usually stick to customer rolls and teller trays. I hope you manage to find some good ones soon. At least you will find something switching to cents! Nickels usually produce interesting stuff as well. Have you found the same with dimes in your area? If those are all gone, I would suspect a silver eating machine at the coin handler's plac

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008
Well, nobody is going to like these results. especially me.

The machine I was told about that takes the silver coins out really does work well. the problem of being in an area with new machinery. :-( It also takes out other coins. I ended up with ZERO magicians coins. That was nice. And ZERO foreign coins. It just takes all non matching clad coins and rejects them before rolling the matches.

JOhn

John,

First...sorry about the results of your experiment.

Second...I don't know if you were serious, kidding, or just trying to stir the pot with the above quote? I certainly don't want to be the source of another "is the courier culling silver string". It is a fact that the couriers don't own the coins they handle...the Banks do...but I wonder if the Banks may not have signed on for an improvement in service/quality where the coin processors do cull out foreign, tokens, silver, etc to ensure the rolls banks distribute to customers are spot on? If you were serious, please elaborate a bit on your findings/information about the new rolling machines.

Some dramatic change has taken place in my area with halves...I have averaged less than 1/10 of my previous monthly AG recovery (4 year average) in my area for the last 4 months (this wasn't a gradual decline), and this month I am at 95% skunks...I use 2 different couriers, so I am either downstream from one or more new mega searchers (dumping massive quantities of searched clad), or something has fundamentally changed in the distribution system. Any further information would be appreciated.

HH,
CD

Last edited:

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I dont understand is why I find silver dimes from boxes out here. They are from the same banks I order halves from. Additionally, my first 2 boxes of halves that I ever did, last year, produced me 3-40%'s, and 7-40%'s (beginners luck I suppose). After that, went dry.

If they have machinery out here that culls...wouldnt it have culled those 40%'s and the 90%'s dimes as well?

My theory, not to dispute yours, is that becuase there is so much land in AZ (TONS of scrapyards) could these scrappers have CRH as part of there business model and have so combed through the supply out here. I remember hearing about Jackson Metals (in Ohio, I believe it was) cleaning out the supply.

I just find it hard to believe that everyone finds silver around the country in large cities but Phoenix!! Has to be some reason...I mean ****, this is where people come to retire and die because of the weather....where the **** are their half dollars when the heirs turn them in.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I have another explanation.

My idea is that the coin is held in regional depositories that can easily be exhausted by volume searchers.
But my explanation for why no new silver from customer cashing in is showing up is as follows:

Where there are volume CRH'ers, there is always a large flow of returning coin coming from searchers. Many times these searched bags are the ones most available when new orders (your last volume order) come in. So, following the path of least resistance, it is just plain EASIER to use searcher's returns to fill new orders. Thus, 83 boxes and one silver.

AND VERY POSSIBLY SOMEONE IN THE SYSTEM DOES NOT LIKE VOLUME ORDERS AND HAS DISCOVERED THAT THIS METHOD PUTS AN END TO THEM !

Therefore, if I am correct, the volume of searched coin must become less available in order for new orders to be filled with unsearched coin.

Whaddaya think?

Keep on Rollin' !

Last edited:

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Yes - another city hits the end for the halves. Seeing the same thing up this way. Been that way for quite a while here in Maine. It was good while it lasted! I salute your tenacity to go for so many boxes. If you can't hit one good box with that many then I believe it is time for the cents again. The coin stars certainly pull out the silver so it might be true for the new sorters in your area or perhaps it is the last in first out problem or perhaps they are holding a couple hundred thousand in halves which you can't seem to get by...whatever it is I would call it a day also. Silver Cop, LJ, and how many more from here have hit this point?

Maine_Jim

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like others have said, I have to admire your willpower to go through so many boxes. I would have given up long before 80+ boxes. It was worth a shot though.

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow only 1 silver half in all those boxes. wow that sucks. nice finds on the proofs though. :sadsmiley:

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrf,
Kudos to you for such a massive search. I just finished 7 boxes and came away with only 3-40%ers. Highly depressing to say the least. Two years ago, we had collected enough finds to pay for a significant portion of our daughter's wedding in just six months. This year, the finds have been near to nothing. Dimes--at least as of late--have been steady at 2-3 per box. Just a personal observation, but it seems when silver hit $50.00 all things went down hill fast.

apush

cecropia_moth

Feb 10, 2010
So here is my question...

Suppose at the coin processing/rolling facility their new machinery in the process of running a half dollar job rejects 10 - 90% and 40 - 40% halves. Who gets to keep those coins. I thought they were "owned" by the bank. Does the facility hold an amount of their own clad for replacement and then they keep the goodies. I can understand the technology of being able to separate out the silvers, what happens to them next after they are separated out is what is confusing to me??? Seems like either the coin processing company or someone within has a big advantage in the ability to cull out the silver. If this is the case, that really $uck$.

Jeff

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
So here is my question...

Suppose at the coin processing/rolling facility their new machinery in the process of running a half dollar job rejects 10 - 90% and 40 - 40% halves. Who gets to keep those coins. I thought they were "owned" by the bank. Does the facility hold an amount of their own clad for replacement and then they keep the goodies. I can understand the technology of being able to separate out the silvers, what happens to them next after they are separated out is what is confusing to me??? Seems like either the coin processing company or someone within has a big advantage in the ability to cull out the silver. If this is the case, that really $uck$.

Jeff

I'm not sure, maybe someone will know more.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting that your district is so dry, surely people are dumping silver into the system still. Begs the question, where is it going? Perhaps there are a lot of CWR hunters playing interference?

OP
OP
jrf30

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I don't know what happens to the coins. I think the rolling compnay may get to KEEP them. Or worse! See below. Here's why I think that.

The coin counting machine at my local bank rejects a lot of coins. Foriegn coins, slugs, fakes, etc. And some flat batteries and nuts and bolts and screws too. Junk people throw in the machine. It all goes into the reject slot. At the end of a period of time, whenever they feel like enptying it, they take it, and it goes into the trash. I have SEEN them throw it in the trash WITH a silver dime in it that I TOLD them was silver. they said "We are not allowed to keep anything in the reject slot OR give it out. Sorry. We must throw it out." They threw away 12 - 15 coins that day. A few bent pennies, a bent nickel, a fake somthing, a mexican coin, the silver dime, and some other unknown things. And I've seen this more than once when they have emptied that tray while changing a bag for me while I was there. the ONLY thing they will give me is if I peek at it whiel they are changing the bag and see a half in there, I then say "Hey, I think one of my halves is missing. Did it go to the reject tray?" Then they look, give me the half that is there (Since I saw it already!) and if there are other coins there, they LEAVE them there or throw them out. I asked the manager about it when he was changing the bag for me one day. He said "We can't take any of the coins that get rejected. Once they are rejected, they are trash, even if we KNOW they are silver or halves or anything of value. It sucks, but that's our rules, and if we take a silver dime home it is not worth getting fired over." So they take that as part of the job, and throw away good money. I think when banks that take it in without a discriminating machine like my one bank has (When they take customer rolled coin) they send the coin to the central area to be rerolled and counted for the bank's credit, and there they TOO get those same "rejects". they get counted as rejects and taken off of the banks total. What happens then I do not know. I HOPE that they do NOT have to throw them away, like the bank does!!!! But I guarantee with 100% accuracy and first hand knowledge that the bank DOES throw AWAY the silver that gets put in their reject tray, and they KNOW it is silver. What the rolling area does with it now that they have a similar machine I do not know. I bet since the volume is so much more that they get to keep it, but the silver comes OFF the bank's total, and the bank gets a lower count.

Yes, the machine exists in my locak dump banks, and yes I was told the same machines, in a biger versios, were recently sinstalled by "Brinks" (Or whoever it is that does the counting and rolling) at their facility.

Might be worth savaging through their trash once a week to see! LOL.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting post! I'd like to add that my wife is a vault teller as one of her duties...In the last 4 years that I have dumped coin there, my bags have never been reported short or over. I don't count coins either, they go straight from boxes or cwr into bags and shipped out.
The bags are allowed a certain percent in shorts or overages, per contract, from what i have been told.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do they dump the trash?? I guess there is some kind of secure system, a bonded company comes and picks it up, then burns it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread