What's new

✅ SOLVED My nephews found this, what is it?😊

Christoph

Tenderfoot
Joined
Nov 26, 2018
Messages
6
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Acer 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My nephews were out yesterday with the metal detector and found this on an old demolished homesite in a field in central IL. I only have the pic of this side. 1 5/8” wide, 1.4 oz.
it sort of looks like the shield shape on a 1831 British dollar.
Any guesses?
 

Attachments

  • DE026DBB-16E0-41CB-8300-C22CDFE3E661.webp
    DE026DBB-16E0-41CB-8300-C22CDFE3E661.webp
    884.5 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
FDC12380-8158-48FE-B071-A0CBB76FABFF.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like a one-piece flat button? :icon_scratch:
I'd need to have a look at the back to know for sure.

Maybe picture it with a coin for a size reference.

Dave
 
Upvote 0
UK - Norwich "Cartwheel" Twopence token (Robert Blake) 1811-1815

blake twopence token.webp

That is a super cool dig!

[FONT=&quot]Robert Blake's Norwich (Norfolk) copper 'cartwheel' twopence token undated (though may be around 1812 date). Manufactured (by Boulton) some time in the early 19th Century before 1815. The phrase 'For Change Not Profit' is indicative of the nature of the change shortage, as tokens were sometimes struck at a loss to the issuer, because the lack of money to facilitate trade was a more serious issue for merchants and traders to contend with than the trouble and expense of having strike their own money. Generally speaking, the larger a coin, the cheaper it was to strike the coin relative to its face value. No doubt this was one of the reasons for striking such an unusually large token. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Robert Blake's business was in Heigham Street, Norwich. He was a cotton-maker, bleacher, bombazine, crape and shawl manufacturer. Quality bombazine is made with a silk warp and a worsted weft. It is twilled or corded and used for dress-material. [/FONT]

https://www.catawiki.com/catalog/to...wich-carwheel-twopence-robert-blake-1811-1815
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
DCMatt with the win! Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
How that ended up in a field in Central Illinois makes no sense to me, but I love it!
 
Upvote 0
Great find.Congrats and Welcome to Tnet.
 
Upvote 0
Dang DC .. Yr Amazing .
 
Upvote 0
I really wish our finds could talk....

Supper cool find.
Congrats

and Welcome from California
 
Upvote 0
Great Id and find
 
Upvote 0
Welcome from MI Tommy
 
Upvote 0
Welcome Cristoph!

Matt's the closest thing we have to infallible!

Best wishes!
 
Upvote 0
Welcome Cristoph!

Matt's the closest thing we have to infallible!

Best wishes!

I had to read this twice Phil... at first I thought you said that Matt was inflatable! :icon_scratch:
Let me introduce you to inflatable Matt! :laughing9:

Dave
 

Attachments

  • inflatable_Matt.webp
    inflatable_Matt.webp
    10.1 KB · Views: 68
Upvote 0
I had to read this twice Phil... at first I thought you said that Matt was inflatable! :icon_scratch:
Let me introduce you to inflatable Matt! :laughing9:

Dave

Ha! That is TOO funny! I read exactly the same thing!

Thx for the kudos.
 
Upvote 0
LOL indeed Matt! Just which department of the Smithsonian do you work with?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom