My new project brings me a nice bonus

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of weeks ago I bought me another project which is a 1965 mustang coupe. I got the car for $1,800 because it was a 6 cylinder car, but I guess the owner didn't realize the C in the VIN# indicated it was originally a V8 289 v2. The car runs and drives but I want to put a 289 V8 back in it so I put an ad in Craig's List looking for a 289. I get a call from a 70 year old guy who tells me he has a few and one is a 1966 289 271 HP HiPo(high performance) and one is a 1965 289 with only 65,000 miles when he took it out. I told him I was interested in the *cough* HiPo if it was the real deal and the 65,000 mile one. We agreed on $600 for both. He also tells me he has an aluminum 4 barrel intake manifold that says FORD on it and the numbers C9OX that he thinks came off the HiPo.

I sent my nephew to pick them up and told him what to look for to verify it was a real HiPo which was very unlikely. HiPo 289's are very rare and worth a lot of money so people are known to try and fake them. My nephew calls me up and tells me he can't tell if it's the HiPo or not but that the guy has come down to $200 for both motors. He also said there was a nice looking 3rd motor there also, so I told him to offer the guy $400 for all 3 motors and the manifold. He agreed on $500 for it all. I was taking a chance but I knew if the HiPo was real I was getting the deal of a lifetime, and the aluminum manifold was worth a fair amount on it's own. I see one on Ebay for $900 right now.

Anyway, my nephew gets them home and I start checking the numbers and setup of the "HiPo" and everything matches to be the real deal. I posted some pictures on a Mustang forum asking to verify if it was the real deal and one guys response was "Out of all the pictures people have posted on this forum thinking they had a real HiPo, this is the first real HiPo I've seen posted." So now what to do? Do I rebuild it and put it in my new 1965 mustang project? I've been told I could sell it for enough money to buy a brand new motor and have it put in with what I could get for my HiPo as is.

Here is my new project

65drside.jpg

65passfrnt.jpg

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If t were me, I'd sell the Hi-Po to someone who needed it for their original car and buy/build another engine for the car.
Maybe swap in an early 90's 5.0 with the fuel injection and 5-speed. That's a real popular swap. Or maybe a stroker 347.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
As a former salvage yard manager & gearhead for the past 35+ years you got a great deal. The intake as well as all other Ford parts is easy to date. The "C9" means it is a 1969 part. If you want a proper intake for your 65 it should start with C5.. The letter is the decade & the number is the year.. for example "D8 would be made in 1978, etc.

OP
OP
Digger

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup I'm thinking stroker.

I'm a bit of a purist so I'd rather see this engine go where it belongs. I'm going to see if it has a VIN on the block and try to find the owner of the car it came from. Would be nice to reunite the car and engine.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
There will also be casting numbers on the block & heads starting with C5 (for 1965) or whatever. I'm a die hard Chevy guy and it would sure make things easier if everyones part numbers & casting numbers worked the same way as Fords.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like a Great Deal . We are in kind of the same situation, I have a original 1969 chevy 396/375hp special high performance engine with original dome pistons e.t.c that is completely original all the way up to the carb. it even has the rare 427 aluminum intake that they used for this paticular engine. We was going to install it in a prostreet 49 chevy truck, but thinking about selling it to someone that needs to match numbers.

good luck with whatever you decide, Nova Treasure

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is the kind of deal that happened 20 years ago not so much now a days. Awesome. I would sell the engine and get crate 289-302. You are set up with the deal you have. Keep us posted. :headbang:

OP
OP
Digger

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still cleaning up the 289 HiPo to probably sell. I have started putting in the new interior.

Before
65int.jpg

After
65newint.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions