Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to a new site today, in Massachusetts, in the woods near a cemetery that was not used since the 1700's, more importantly there was some kind of a meeting house there in the 1600's. I hunted in those woods near some stonewalls for less than an hour when I got a deep signal, I stuck the pinpointer in the hole and grabbed a round disk with 1/4 of crud caked on to it, I checked next to the hole and found another one, I checked again and a few inches away from my first hole I dug and found another one. The were buried under pine trees and and needles which break down into a kind of acid which ruins coins. Anyways, I'm pretty sure that these are 1600's coins, considering how crude they are. I can see faint parts of design on them but not enough to ID them. They are pretty toasted from the acidic pine needles.

DSC_0657.JPGDSC_0659.JPGDSC_0661.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 21
Well, you can cross British off the list. They look closer to our Roman Scrappies than a more modern copper, not sure you will get an ID, but it doesn't harm to try.

Not sure if you will get an ID . But congrats on the oldie spill

Anyone would like to have a spill like that, even if you can't make a positive ID on them.

Well! After soaking in mineral oil for two years, I got some detail! One has some chaotic letters and other things hammered around the edge, one has a very worn raised area of design. And the other, the nicest of all, has a crown with faint letters around the edge (not visible in photo). I want to go back there now! This pocket spill looks like it has to be 1600's, perhaps one of the coins is even 1500's! It would be cool if they are pre Civil War, English Civil War that is! Any ideas on what they might be?

Maybe I will wet them down to show some more detail, these have been out of oil for two months or so.
DSC_0364.JPGDSC_0368.JPGDSC_0357.JPGDSC_0358.JPGDSC_0359.JPG

Maybe an early 1600's Charles Copper? Most of those have crowns.

All of the coins in the spill look to be hammered.

Last edited:
The thin weird shaped coin with many letters is much older looking, with a large amount of letters on the edge of the other side (not in photo). A braided line towards the middle with some large letters around it, and a tiny, fairly clear "55" on the edge, it could be my eyes playing tricks on me though. I am going to research this one now. I am going to also attempt to take photos of it.

I also see an "SR" and other letters on the edge. Also is something looking like a crude wreath with some words in it. I really hope that it is 1500's!

Last edited:
DSC_0390.JPGDSC_0385.JPG

Horrible photo, I need to put some oil or water on it to really see the details.

It looks a little bit like this 1450-1550 Spanish coin, though I doubt it is this old. Maybe a newer type of this coin.

mKo8i6Sy9HeqXfT25FEwc4xQJr3kp7.jpg

Last edited:
I wet down and rubbed the coin with the coin, below the crown are clear large numbers. They say 15?5 or 16?5, or 13?5 (though I am 99% percent sure that it is not from the 1300's). The number that I replaced with a question mark looks very much like a 6.

Date under crown. Click image to enlarge.

DSC_0359.JPGDSC_0359.JPG

Last edited:
What an awesome set of finds! You have a lot of patience soaking it in oil for 2 years. So that really works to help bring out detail?

Great finds:thumbsup: the mineral oil really does work. Next time you find a blank,try multiple hot peroxide baths. The kg I just found was completely slick when I found it and now I can see a bust on both sides and lettering. No date though they do where off.

There's nothing more frustrating than finding what you know is an old coin, and not having enough information to identify it...with that said, that is a really great find. I'd be super happy. Congrats Coinman!

Hate that more than anything....worn or little detail. Good luck with ID. Hogge

Wow that's a blast from the past, two year soak, awesome! I tried that once on a coin and it did clean it, but to no avail, it was still a slickie.

I'd pound that place, the colonial era relics and coils there will be off the hook!!

hh,
Cal

Wow that's a blast from the past, two year soak, awesome! I tried that once on a coin and it did clean it, but to no avail, it was still a slickie.

I'd pound that place, the colonial era relics and coils there will be off the hook!!

hh,
Cal

It depends on the coin, many people advise against oil, with good reasoning. If it is a nice coin it can make it look much more dark, if it is toasted though, like most of the coins I find, it never hurts to try. The weird thing is, I went back to that site for a week, and never found one more colonial artifact. All I found were a couple shotgun shells and a cool 1970's disposable Pepsi bottle with the cap on. I think that it is a Charles I or II based on the crown, I showed it to my dad before I got home, who has pretty bad eye sight, and is always a skeptic about things (he thought that his first colonial button was probably a 1950's "Made in Japan" coat button. I wanted to see if I was crazy thinking I saw a crown, luckily He was able to see the crown perfectly, but he didn't see a date underneath it. My guess right now is probably an early 1600's to mid 1600's copper, maybe a pre English Civil War, Charles I, or 1660 Charles II Copper. This coin, either way, is around the same age as the town, which could explain it being an isolated find, and was probably dropped by one of the first settlers while exploring the town for one of the first times. I am really hoping that the weird shaped thin copper is 1500's, I doubt it, but it is nice to hope that I may have joined the 1500's club. I doubt I will ever properly identify any of these coins. If these are actually from the 1600's, my total will be up to 5 1600's coppers since 2014. I found my 1656-1658 Liard in an area settled in the 1760's, and my 1696 William Copper also in a mid 1700's area, so anything is possible!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back