What's new

My Oldest Foreign coin found in Half roll: 1863 France coin

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
1,184
Reaction score
282
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Consider being more than 140 years old, it's not in bad shape. Thanks for looking.

P2221293.webp

P2221294.webp
 
Upvote 0
Looks silver. Is it?
 
Jack_Mightyheart said:
Looks silver. Is it?

No, it is copper and it's very dark; I took the picture from an angle so I could get the detail. It seems to me that Europeans did not like use silver for coins; Did early europeans use gold-base monetary system?
 
Now thats cool, sweet find :thumbsup:
 
Yinzi50 said:
Jack_Mightyheart said:
Looks silver. Is it?

No, it is copper and it's very dark; I took the picture from an angle so I could get the detail. It seems to me that Europeans did not like use silver for coins; Did early europeans use gold-base monetary system?

I have some gold French 20 Francs coins that date from the 1860s to the early 1900s. I know there are earlier gold Franc coins too. Don't know about silver but I would not be suprised if they had those too. Most European countries had gold coins in the mid to late 1800s. These have been my favorite gold to buy in the last 6 months. Low premiums on VF to AU coins that were actual money over 100 years ago. Also, you get smaller sized coins; the modern bullion fractionals have super high premiums now. I also have some Prussian 20 and 10 Mark coins, Spanish pesetas, Swiss Francs, etc. Wonderful coins.

I believe that these old European gold coins will be popular here in the future.

Jim
 
That's pretty crazy that something that old would be in US circulation.....Very nice find though!
 
That is an awesome find - congrats!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
that is cool I found a 1853 this summer detecting, I thought I had dug a large cent...lol
 
You never know what your going to find when you open these rolls. That is why this hobbie is awesome.

Golden Silver
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom