eagleforce

Mar 15, 2010
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great hunt today with pl8man! First field was a bust. We moved on to another field. :icon_pirat: I never expected to pull this coin out of the ground here. At about 7 inches deep I got flashes of +92 on my MXT. Dug down and probed around but no sound. Immediatly checked the dirt I scooped out. Saw it was in a dirt clod that landed on the grass, so it didnt get scratched (I hope). It was such a rush when I saw the edge of the coin peeking out. I knew I had silver coin, but what? Waited for pl8man to run over with his camera, popped out the coin and he told me it was a Moragan Dollar right away. The year appears to be 1885. Its the oldest coin I have ever found, and the first U.S. silver in the 1800's too. I am not sure how I should clean the dirt off of it, if anyone has any suggestions, holler. I will probably never find one of these again. What a find! :headbang: I also found a gold plated pendant, the back says 14k EDP or somethin like that. The plating on the front looks great compared to the back. Rings are at #9 now. This will be a weekend to remember. Thanks for checking out my post. :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• P1050528.JPG
    P1050528.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,725
  • P1050529.JPG
    P1050529.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 1,716
  • P1050530.JPG
    P1050530.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,746
  • P1050531.JPG
    P1050531.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 1,746
  • IMG_5612.JPG
    IMG_5612.JPG
    368.1 KB · Views: 1,602
  • IMG_5613.JPG
    IMG_5613.JPG
    397.9 KB · Views: 1,605
  • IMG_5614.JPG
    IMG_5614.JPG
    445.5 KB · Views: 1,593
Upvote 0
Re: I detected a Morgan Dollar

Fantastic hunt, WOW! Congrats! You'll never forget it. My first and only silver coin was 1923 silver Peace dollar, lying dirty on top of the ground; don't mind if I never find silver again. Well, for a while. HH Andi

warm water should wash that bad boy off, being silver and all - amazing find!

OMG, I was just checking to see if you'd posted, found nothing, stepped away for a few minutes, came back and this is what I find!!! This is fantastic Ryan!!! The dollar is going to be a fabulous addition to your collection and the emerald pendant, beautiful and are those little diamonds around the perimeter? Oh man..... :notworthy: :laughing9: You guys are going to have to go comb that place again. It seems you could rinse the coin with luke warm water but maybe you should wait for some more input.

chkn said:
OMG, I was just checking to see if you'd posted, found nothing, stepped away for a few minutes, came back and this is what I find!!! This is fantastic Ryan!!! The dollar is going to be a fabulous addition to your collection and the emerald pendant, beautiful and are those little diamonds around the perimeter? Oh man..... :notworthy: :laughing9: You guys are going to have to go comb that place again. It seems you could rinse the coin with luke warm water but maybe you should wait for some more input.
Hey! Thank you. The stones are fake..even the green one, I think. And the metal on that thing is cheap. The coins probably not worth much selling value, but I dont want to scratch it.

Wow that is a lot of diggen

Jonnie

Wow :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: Very Nice.... Congrats

Great finds did you get those mostly in one field? if so I would be going back. Great find on the Morgan. :thumbsup:

Fabulous find! As far as cleaning goes, it's really up to you how far you go past rinsing the dirt off. You can soak it water and see if any more crud comes off--if it's stained, you'll just have to live with it unless you want to take more aggressive action. Soaking in soapy water or water with lemon juice or even light brushing/qtipping are more aggressive steps that you may or may not be willing to take....BTW, I just checked the redbook and now I'm hoping your coin has a CC mintmark--below the wreath on the reverse--if it's a CC don't clean it at all :icon_thumleft:

WOW just WOW!! finding a morgan has got to be such an awesome feeling. huge congrats on that one! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: I'm still waiting to find mine :angry5: :angry5:

Finding a silver dollar is very hard to do. But what really sets this post apart are the great photos "in the field." Fantastic photos to go with a fantastic find.

Best Wishes and Congratulations,

Buckleboy

eagleforce said:
chkn said:
Hey! Thank you. The stones are fake..even the green one, I think. And the metal on that thing is cheap. The coins probably not worth much selling value, but I dont want to scratch it.

Yes, that sure is a keeper!!!

That is a hunt I'll remember forever Ryan ! I'm glad I was there to see that big silver come out of the ground . Congrats man , you deserve it :headbang:
Glen

ggossage said:
Fabulous find! As far as cleaning goes, it's really up to you how far you go past rinsing the dirt off. You can soak it water and see if any more crud comes off--if it's stained, you'll just have to live with it unless you want to take more aggressive action. Soaking in soapy water or water with lemon juice or even light brushing/qtipping are more aggressive steps that you may or may not be willing to take....BTW, I just checked the redbook and now I'm hoping your coin has a CC mintmark--below the wreath on the reverse--if it's a CC don't clean it at all :icon_thumleft:

If it turns out it is not a CC mintmark and you want the coin to shine. Clean it gently with warm water to get the surface dirt off. Then take some baking soda and a bit of water and mix till you have a wet paste. Take a bit and rub it on the coin with your fingers with a bit of pressure. The silver will clean right up after a bit; timewise depending on have tarnished it is. This is a gentle cleaning, less aggressive than the boiling water/washing soda/aluminum foil trick, I save that for cutlery etc. If you prefer it to remain as it is, just use warm water and dishwashing liquid.

Congrats on a lovely coin and the Jewelry with the green stone, clean it up. Those things go for quite a bit on ebay now, antique jewelry is all the rage.

GL & HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back