My Oldest Silver Coin found in Oregon

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
I went over a place I pounded last year but with a bigger (Nel Attack) coil that picked up some deeper targets. Last year I found one coin ... a 1859 seated half. This time within the space of 5 minutes towards the end of my hunt I found an 1854 seated quarter and a British Shilling from 1826. That's the oldest silver coin I've found in Oregon. Previous record was a 1849 seated dime.

I've included pictures of some of the other miscellaneous stuff dug.

Attachments

• caprice misc 12-3-15.jpg
    caprice misc 12-3-15.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 217
  • caprice seated and shilling alt.jpg
    caprice seated and shilling alt.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 203
  • caprice 1854 seated ground.jpg
    caprice 1854 seated ground.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 167
Upvote 37
OP
OP
winslow

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
That's awesome!! Just got my NEL Attack coil for my AT Pro as well. First 2 hours out i hit a seated dime at 9" in a place that's been pounded. How deep did you get the half and the quarter?

Cool! The half dollar I found last year with the standard coil was only about 3 inches deep. These coins were around 8 inches deep. My first time out with the new coil I found a Barber dime at about 10 inches in a very tiny yard that I thought was completely hunted out. I'm liking the new coil!

OP
OP
winslow

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Nice Left Coast finds!! Congratz!

My terrain is VERY mineralized. Auto ground balance on my AT is usually between 88 and 92. Under these conditions is it possible a NELS would offer any benefit?

Grease

I don't think a new coil will help with the mineralization. How far to you have to decrease sensitivity to have a functioning machine?

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice seated quarter, especially for Oregon. But I have found a discrepancy in your story....

From your Banner post on the stack of seated halves - "I found a seated dime in the same hole dated 1850 O"

This dime would be your oldest silver by my math (unless the dime was dug in Cali)
:laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
winslow

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Nice seated quarter, especially for Oregon. But I have found a discrepancy in your story....

From your Banner post on the stack of seated halves - "I found a seated dime in the same hole dated 1850 O"

This dime would be your oldest silver by my math (unless the dime was dug in Cali)
:laughing7:

Good research! All part of being an excellent detectorist. However, I was referring to the 1826 shilling I found not the 1854 quarter. Great avatar by the way!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Excellent find. West coast has some nice coins and relics, just a little more work to find

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds!
...'Specially in Oregon! :thumbsup:
Oregon TERRITORY back then....!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice silver recoveries!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good research! All part of being an excellent detectorist. However, I was referring to the 1826 shilling I found not the 1854 quarter. Great avatar by the way!

Haha! I overlooked the obvious! I was fixated on all those seated. Despite finding 65 Spanish Silvers, two Draped Bust dimes, countless large cents and half cents....I have only ever found ONE seated silver!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions