30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That wasn't a typo 🤣

I went to the landfill in Charlotte and was dumping a truckload of stuff and saw a big chest / steamer trunk someone had thrown out... back then they just piled everything on the ground and big dump trucks came and scooped up the trash and dumped everything in big bins.. but nobody was around and so I went to the big trunk and thinking it must be trashed inside (why else would they dump it ?) I opened it up only to see a lot of personal stuff inside including a jar full of coins. I quickly (against the rules) scooped up the chest and took it home. The jar contained 40 - 50 coins and a $2 bill... most coins were silver quarters and halves but relatively modern, but it also contained this 1814 half... thereby becoming my oldest American Silver !!
I still have the Chest and some of the silver, there were a few Indians and buffalos in there too ...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That wasn't a typo 🤣

I went to the landfill in Charlotte and was dumping a truckload of stuff and saw a big chest / steamer trunk someone had thrown out... back then they just piled everything on the ground and big dump trucks came and scooped up the trash and dumped everything in big bins.. but nobody was around and so I went to the big trunk and thinking it must be trashed inside (why else would they dump it ?) I opened it up only to see a lot of personal stuff inside including a jar full of coins. I quickly (against the rules) scooped up the chest and took it home. The jar contained 40 - 50 coins and a $2 bill... most coins were silver quarters and halves but relatively modern, but it also contained this 1814 half... thereby becoming my oldest American Silver !!
I still have the Chest and some of the silver, there were a few Indians and buffalos in there too ...
Probably an estate clean up.
Grandkids opened Granny's trunk and went EEWWW!
DUMP D DUMP.
Your win, congrats.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking back over my life, I wish I had gotten a job at the dump! So much cool stuff gets tossed, I think you could do alright with a job at the dump and a resale shop. I never found a speck of treasure working 25 yrs in a machine shop.

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 and XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That wasn't a typo 🤣

Thanks for the story!! When I was in my twenties I would dig old dumps from the 1800s and every once in a while would dig a coin! Guess they thru them out mistakenly with their garbage. Congrats on a nice find!!

OP
OP
TORRERO

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably an estate clean up.
Grandkids opened Granny's trunk and went EEWWW!
DUMP D DUMP.
Your win, congrats.
Actually the stuff belonged to a guy, other things in the chest were Baseball cards, a box of collectable cereal, some stuff from his high school graduation, etc, I tried to locate someone who it might belong to but was not able to ..
The only 2 logical explanations were, the X wife, girlfriend etc .. got mad and tossed this guys stuff, OR He died and the family did not want this stuff around anymore... considering the value of the coins, I'm going with the first option.

OP
OP
TORRERO

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, you were at the right place at the right time. A cache in the trash!!!
That’s a great piece of silver and it comes with a great story. 👍
Congrats,
MM
"Right place at the right time" is exactly true, Because 5 minutes on either side of me arriving and I would have missed this completely !!

OP
OP
TORRERO

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking back over my life, I wish I had gotten a job at the dump! So much cool stuff gets tossed, I think you could do alright with a job at the dump and a resale shop. I never found a speck of treasure working 25 yrs in a machine shop.
They do not allow people to take things that have been left by others, nobody was looking so I grabbed it and drove off, but if they see you they will certainly stop you.

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice rescue from the trash. Hope you took a good look at the other coins also.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread