My Pal Charlie: A tale of true colors (and a large cent plus mercs)

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Today I went out for a hunt in the morning with my buddy Charlie. Charlie and I go way back, as many of you all do with hunting partners. I found an 1839 LC, but the backstory I Feel is the highlight of this post.

Yesterday I received a text from a t-net member with a pic of a giant friggin' seated dollar. He said his sister-in-law found it and she just started detecting. So the first thing I asked was if he took her to one of his spots, and demonstrated to him how much he sucks at detecting (just a jab). He said that he has taken her to many of his spots but she found this on her own, and in fact wouldn't tell him nor invite him to be "secret spot". That's her choice and its fine, but as he put it, "at least I know where I stand".

Fast forward to my friend Charlie. Charlie found a Liberty Cap the other day, 1794. First thing he did was send me a text which was quickly followed by a phone call. Awesome Charlie, that's bloody amazing I said. The next words out of his mouth were, "Steve you gotta check this place out man. I ain't going back until you come with me". Now that's a friend and a good detecting buddy. Now originally Charlie, Bartek, and I were supposed to hit a secret site but Bartek just came off a 10 day Tequila binge in Mexico and had to catch up at work, so Charlie and I went to the Liberty cap spot.

Not 10 feet from where he found the Lib Cap I pulled this LC ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450484205.485575.jpg

After a few hours ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450484229.276725.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450484239.399423.jpg

Thanks Charlie for the hunt.

I tell my two kids constantly that sharing is caring. It doesn't work all the time but man it feels good to both give and receive. This holiday season everyone needs to give away their best spots to friends. Ok, that's a bit far, but take them to one you've only hit a few times;)

Happy Holidays and Happy Hunting y'all.

Steve

Upvote 22
OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice recoveries and story as it's true about the sharing, Buddy Dave comes down every two weeks or so and we go to sites that suck our brains out. :tongue3:
10 day binge on to-kill-ya, ouch!

Sounds like a good friend, and I have yet to see if Mr. Tequila is ok. Lol

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds and great story! :occasion14:

I always share my "hot" places with my friends, to me it's the fun of the hunt and enjoying the outing. I have given lots of my old silver and copper coins to young children of friends, family members and club members that that would appreciate their beauty. Plus, it gives me an excuse to go out and find more!

It's fun seeing friends dig out great stuff. And I know what you mean about giving things away. I would say I give away and honest half of my finds.

Cheers

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I need someone to show me where to dig sometimes too!
Nice job!
Always entertaining!

Judging from your finds you're always in the right spot it seems. Cheers!

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HEY BUDDY! You get on a really hot spot and I'll be your very best friend if you invite me. And trust me I will drive from NC for a really hot spot too! LOL
That site produced for myself ,scrappy and bartek total of
7 silvers. Trime was the earliest
Three King George coppers
2 large cents 1831 and 183?
1. 1794 Liberty cap cent. But it took all season to eek them out. It was shot spot once but. I'm afraid we missed that ship
Working on another you have an open invite Just. Message me

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fast forward to my friend Charlie. Charlie found a Liberty Cap the other day, 1794. First thing he did was send me a text which was quickly followed by a phone call. Awesome Charlie, that's bloody amazing I said. The next words out of his mouth were, "Steve you gotta check this place out man. I ain't going back until you come with me". Now that's a friend and a good detecting buddy. Now originally Charlie, Bartek, and I were supposed to hit a secret site but Bartek just came off a 10 day Tequila binge in Mexico and had to catch up at work, so Charlie and I went to the Liberty cap spot.

Steve

You have a great friend and hunting partner! Consider yourself lucky, because they certainly aren't all like that (as you found out)

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save on the old copper!!! Great story though!!! A lot of folks out our way don't invite....Of course the door is always open if anyone is out my way!!!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the large cent Scrappy. And for the record, if I had any friends that detected-I would share my spots with them.
Thx J. We've never talked but you seem like a helluva guy and a good hunting partner.

Great finds, Steve. Hope to get to meet you next time I am up that way. Hopefully George can secure a good, new permission and the three of us can hunt it.
Definitely look me up when you do. And I too have good permissions, just not right this minute. Come spring I'd like to take George on a hunt so perhaps then?

Tis the season Scrappy, :icon_santa: great post and awesome digs. I am pretty stingy when it comes to sharing permissions, I have only shared great permissions with my brother-in-law since his life has been very busy these past 2 years. He has only had about 80 hours of coil time in the past 2 years where as I have about 1000. I have hunted with only one other MDer in the area and he is also super busy, he may only get to swing the coil about 50 hours a year, if he's lucky, since he works 2 jobs. I am mainly a lone wolf hunter. I do enjoy assisting newbs I see hunting, in my local travels. They are normally minors who are trying to learn their new detector.
I totally understand both sides Loco.
Great story Steve. Everyone should think like that ( although we know they dont ). My detecting partner & I trade off finding spots, & it works out great. He has made some outstanding finds at my spots, & I have made some outstanding finds at his spots. ( In the interest of competition - I am ahead ) & I'm not even competitive !

That's the way it should be. Sound like a very ideal situation and competition is the spirit of this hobby (or at least a tiny bit at times)

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have shared numerous hunts since joining on line metal detecting forums. I like the conversation and sharing the experience of actual finds. Real connectivity. This year I shared one hunt and lots of information about a spot that I researched many years ago. It is always good to have someone along in NYC. In case we run into thugs that might try to rob us,, I can always go for help. lol
Congrats on a great hunt and post.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx J. We've never talked but you seem like a helluva guy and a good hunting partner.

)

Well thanks Scrappy. It sounds like so much fun, you guys down there having digs together. I have family in the Lititz/Lebanon area, so if I ever get down to visit I will definitely let you guys know!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Scrappy and some nice finds too, congrats.
ZDD

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Steve!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have shared numerous hunts since joining on line metal detecting forums. I like the conversation and sharing the experience of actual finds. Real connectivity. This year I shared one hunt and lots of information about a spot that I researched many years ago. It is always good to have someone along in NYC. In case we run into thugs that might try to rob us,, I can always go for help. lol
Congrats on a great hunt and post.

Deep in the woods and parks it's great having a partner. Actually Charlie had a real scare a few weeks ago.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds, and even nicer story. Best of luck to you Scraps!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE COIN FINDS SCRAP .....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread