My recent rescue of a beaten, shot and abandoned female Plott Hound!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I like dogs a whole lot more than people.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little known fact that DOG spelled backwards is GOD,& GOD spelled backwards is DOG,maybe you were meant to find him,or him to find you.In my book,you've earned your wings.:icon_thumright:

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sir are something very special. As an animal control officer for 15 plus years I have seen a lot of very disturbing things. Thank god for people like you. I wish that there were many more like you. I never heard of Plott hounds until 2 years ago when we ran a rabies clinic and a gent brought in 9 of them. He hunts bear in Canada with them. Awesome animals. I wish you continued success with your animals. Being as how my wife and I are more or less a mom and pop shelter, ( however we are licensed by the State of New York ) and funds are very little, I wish that I had extra to send to you to help with your expenses capturing this dog. Again, god bless you for taking the time to save and rehab this animal. Dave

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You truly are a fantastic person for doing what you did and saving a life. My wife and I are true dog lovers as we have two rescued retired racing Greyhounds (Cleopatra and Nefertari), a Lab (Dusti), a English Cocker Spaniel (Bentley), an a Dachshund (Stretch). As horrible as some people are that can do that to an animal is also how great others are that can be able to tell a story such as yours. Please, hats off to you!!!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are a good man Charlie Brown! I commend you for you compassion. Bless the beasts and the children.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Brad (Limitool)! It means a lot coming from you, the fellow (along with Bonnie) that has adopted so many orphans, strays and wild dogs sort of like the Red Cross during a war! I got a good chuckle about you trying to get into bed with the wife and the Great Dane. Just be careful who you roll over to to give a kiss. LOL!! You don't need to send me any money but I really appreciate it that you would. I should have my' Tax Refund in a few weeks and will get her a checkup and shots as soon as it comes in. I will call you in a little bit. By the way, besides your' other dogs, how is Mama Dog? She is a great Cave Spelunking companion for you and I hope she is doing well Frank

Thanks dude..... And I hope your income tax refund arrives soon. And listen... that Great Dane problem going to bed isn't all funny if your me!!!! I got up in the middle of the night to use bathroom the other night. While I'm in there Harley got off her "floor bed" and jumped into the bed. When I came back she's low growling with her head on my pillow and her hind legs almost to the footboard. I went to the couch (gotta choice your fights). "Mamma Dog" is doing great and your right she's a good caving buddy.

And thanks for the call (got number). I hope your new buddy doesn't get off the leash before she's totally comfortable with you. I bet she'll be a great companion Frank soon. And glad to hear she's putting on the weight. How big do the females get? I'll get another phone soon and we'll trade some pics. Later.... Brad

docbars

Oct 15, 2007
SOUTHEAST OHIO
Detector(s) used
V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You done good by her. A lot of hounds can be shy and a little timid by nature and it will take her some time to trust you.The holes or tears on her ears may just be wounds from fighting coon.. I raised and trained coonhounds for several years, they will tear their ears running through fence,briers and or getting into a fight with coon.
HH

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frank you absolutely did a very good thing rescuing this dog. And to rescue just one dog in any fashion cost a LOT OF MONEY and my hats off to you... it's well deserved what you did. We had at one time 21 dogs and took excellent care of all of them at a GREAT expense personally. We had no extra income from any source toward these dogs. Today we are "down" to 7 dogs and simply cannot afford any more and today is a great example. And I KNOW many of you folks on this site have rescued dogs as Frank and I have done and GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!!

For the last 3 days our dog "Sissy - 11 yrs. old - (rescued) was slightly limping around the deck/yard/house. This morning my son and I see her lying down by the TV licking her back left leg. We looked and saw one of her dew claws growing backward into her flesh. For whatever reason this mix dog/coyote has 4 sets of dual dew claws. It was in so far I couldn't even begin to pull it out and clip it. We had NO IDEA. So we took her to vet and $173.00 later she's fine.

And the point is... we all want to do the right thing but it cost SO MUCH MONEY! I felt so bad for her that we missed this nail. This afternoon she is HAPPY and won't leave our side. Frank, and all you folks who do this the love you get back will be 10x fold. But it's no wonder more folks don't help if the costs are so high. I want to do the right thing but when I can't no more.....??????

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great act of compassion on your part Frank , sure to be repaid in kind by giving the Hound a second chance of a better life .Well done..cheers Mick

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are funds to help vet costs for people in certain cities. ..I personally would do anything for my animals..mortgage the house if I had to, they are family..:)

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Again, thanks to everyone that has responded with the kind words, praise, advice and offers of help! Since I received my' Tax Refund Check yesterday, I was hoping that I would be able to take the female Plott Hound to the Veterinarian for a checkup and shots. However, even after a whole week of being here, she is was too skiddish to even attempt to take her. I have been spending as much time as possible with her, walking her, talking to her, giving her snacks and trying to coax her to come to me. Every great once in awhile, she will come as far as to smell my' fingers but to pet, rub and scratch her (which I do with all of my' dogs now and past), I have to pick up the leash and pull her to me or walk to her while not allowing her to bolt. The psychological damage she suffered may be much worse than I thought but I will keep working with her and will not give up on her. I hope that it doesn't come to the point where the Veterinarian has to prescribe something to calm her fears (like doggy Zanax or something else). I don't like drugging myself or my' dogs, so I will look into herbs that will work on dogs. She is looking really healthy now, so for now, it seems that I will have to give her some more time to settle down and get comfortable with us and her surroundings.

Brad...I am glad that you found the problem Sissy was having and took care of it! I am also sorry at the same time that it cost you money that you had not budgeted and will probably have you all financially strapped for awhile! I will make the same offer that you did to me and that is if you need some money, don't hesitate to call, email or PM me and you will have it quick.

Frank

Last edited:

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank, I would suggest you not give her any herbs..first no blood work has been done so you don't know if she has any underlying conditions..also some herbs are toxic..takes time, you might want to speak by phone or web, with an animal behaviorist. .

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would name it squiggy

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffers..stop stalking me..lol!

myfantasia1

Oct 3, 2008
Colorado, Denver
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, and now AP Pro. and AP Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 2 cats that were born wild and 1 that I think was hit by a car or injured somehow. Plus the other wild ones I feed that won't come near me. and of course my dog fantasia. Thanks so much for saving your new pal. God Bless you and may all you have had to pay out come back 10 fold for you soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread