What's new

My Second Penny Box

changedman

Greenie
Joined
Jul 6, 2010
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
My second box of cents was weird in a bad way. MANY 1959 pennies for some reason, a lot of 2010s and 2009 Lincoln chronicles. All in all, only THREE wheaties ('58, '57 and '40 all in VG to F condition). No Canadians or other odd coins either. Pretty disappointing, especially when I hear 10 wheaties is the norm. The copper content was low as well--around 18%.
The GOOD news is that my kids have been watching me do this, and now they're hooked! They will each get their own box of cents tomorrow!
 
Upvote 0
It's a good hobby to get the kids into. That box wasn't terrible, i've heard of worse boxes of pennies. Do you ever search dimes or halves?
 
I've done some quarter rolls (mistake) and about $1,500 worth of half rolls. I haven't asked my bank for a box yet, but plan to do so tomorrow. Is it really worth it to do dimes? The find rate is lower than halves, and they are worth a fraction. It could still be lots of fun to find a merc.
 
I have been doing pennies with my kids. Even the 4yo can spot a wheat. We got spoiled first few times with about 50 wheats per $50 bag. LAst few boxes have been low with yesterdays box having 2 Canadian and 3 wheats. I do better with customer rolls. Usually avg about 15-20 wheats per $25.

Dimes are best for me buying customer rolls. I have YET to find silver in a fed rolled dime roll.
 
I have done over 80 $500 bags of dimes and I'm yet to be skunked. Dimes are easier to dump than halves, when you live in a small town. JMO.
 
thats still better than my worst box of i think it was 2 wheats! keep it up and hh!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom