My Second Penny Box

changedman

Greenie
Jul 6, 2010
My second box of cents was weird in a bad way. MANY 1959 pennies for some reason, a lot of 2010s and 2009 Lincoln chronicles. All in all, only THREE wheaties ('58, '57 and '40 all in VG to F condition). No Canadians or other odd coins either. Pretty disappointing, especially when I hear 10 wheaties is the norm. The copper content was low as well--around 18%.
The GOOD news is that my kids have been watching me do this, and now they're hooked! They will each get their own box of cents tomorrow!

Upvote 0

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a good hobby to get the kids into. That box wasn't terrible, i've heard of worse boxes of pennies. Do you ever search dimes or halves?

OP
OP
C

changedman

Greenie
Jul 6, 2010
I've done some quarter rolls (mistake) and about $1,500 worth of half rolls. I haven't asked my bank for a box yet, but plan to do so tomorrow. Is it really worth it to do dimes? The find rate is lower than halves, and they are worth a fraction. It could still be lots of fun to find a merc.

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I have been doing pennies with my kids. Even the 4yo can spot a wheat. We got spoiled first few times with about 50 wheats per $50 bag. LAst few boxes have been low with yesterdays box having 2 Canadian and 3 wheats. I do better with customer rolls. Usually avg about 15-20 wheats per $25.

Dimes are best for me buying customer rolls. I have YET to find silver in a fed rolled dime roll.

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
I have done over 80 $500 bags of dimes and I'm yet to be skunked. Dimes are easier to dump than halves, when you live in a small town. JMO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread